Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the hunting forum, sorry, maybe this is the better place. (new to this board...give me a break this time :) ) What are some good slugs to reload for a smoothbore slug gun? Are roundballs worth a serious look? I know the old standard is foster slugs but I would like some different ideas also. I do have lead melting equipment from my bullet and fishing wieght casting days, so casting my own is an option.Thanks in advance,Mikle

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yes, reloading your slug loads can be done quite easy. I have tested about every slug offered by the factories and find you can even better the acurracy with reloaded slugs. First for smoothbores.......The best I have found so far is the Lee Key Slug. It weighs an ounce and is designed to be loaded inside a one piece wad. It is a modified Foster slug with a partition in the hollow base. This keeps the wad from blowing into the base.
Another interesting load is a single .690" round ball in a plastic wad. Velocity is quite high and accuracy with sights is good.
With rifled barrels.....there is a difference of opinion here. I don't like the sabot loads, so I have developed a paradox type slug/bullet called the Terminator. It is designed for rifled barrels only and to be used on big game and wild hogs. Best Regards, James Gates

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mr. Gates,

I just aquired a quantity of .690" lead round balls for testing to see if I want to invest in a mold. I plan to use them in a platic wad. What load data should I use? Can I use 1 1/8oz shot data for the hull/wad I have?

Thanks for any help.

SSB

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Round Ball loads.......Interesting! After a little checking into early African records, one is supprised to find that round balls we very popular. This of course were bore soze balls and made very hard.
Whu did round balls remain so popular even after conicals in rifled bores came on the scene?.......Simple. The round balls with less friction in the bore could be fired at a much high velocity. Round ball fell from favor when choked barrels came on the scene. When that happened, the factories switched from .729"/.730" full size balles down to some loads with balls that we only .660"
Now, we have a choice, either full size balls from .715" to .729"/.730". With the .690" ball, one needs a plastic wad. Here are some loads from Ballistic Products Inc's printout.........for 2 3/4" hulls (Activ, Cheddite, Fiocchi) and can be used in 3" chambers.
(1) 26 grs of Unique-BP's HCD24+1/8" cork inside the wad-rolled crimp-1290'/"
(2) 24 grs of Green Dot-BP's HCD24+1/8" cork inside the wad-fold1 crimp-1310'/"
(3) 28 grs of SR7625-BP's HCD24=1/8" cork inside the wad-roll or fold crimp-1300'/"
The recoil on these loads is not too heavy. Due to the high velocity, these loads my shoot lower than a shot charge. While many people shot balls cast from pure lead, we use wheelweight and heat treat the balls. There is no comparison betwwen the penetration. These loads can be used in a .690" choke, but they will pinch the wads petals off as the [email protected] Slugs

·
Registered
373 Posts
for some good factory slugs, try the Fiocchi 1 1/4oz slugs (2 3/4"). In my slug barrel, which is a smooth bore, I'm getting really good groups at 50 to 75 yards, plus they are only like $2.75 for a box of 5.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.