Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an all original Remington Model 31-TC with fixed full choke VR barrel that was manufactured in 1947 according to Remington after sending them the serial number.

I am not a gunsmith nor claim to have much of an idea on how to value guns...the 95, 90, 85 percent thing?

The stock has some minor scratches and very small handling knicks and the finish on the stock and forearm are slightly worn...you can tell on the front of the forearm where handling is minimal because the finish is still like new almost.

I have had thoughts of having a reputable person maybe refinish the stock and forearm to original condition...I have been told not to mess with the blueing because it is all original and in pretty good shape.

Am I best to just leave this thing alone for value purposes or would refinishing the stock as original increase the value?

I still shoot this baby on the trap range sometimes and sort of cringe each time because I don't want to break anything on it...but it sure is fun.

I could take some digital pictures and try to post them if needed?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Leave it as is, shoot it, enjoy it, let your grandson restore it in 30 year,, (forget that, he won't be allowed to own guns, sad, but true) You have one of the best trap guns ever made, It won't likely break down, but if it does, it can be repaired..Bushrod

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Ditto!
I like to buy old guns that are NIB, and shoot them to put honest wear on them. I really do not like seeing 50+ year old guns that look like they have never been used. Guns are tools, NOT COLLECTABLES. This is just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts