Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on a good value for money 12 gauge for my father who is in his late 60s and is about 5'4. What would you suggest for an automatic and/or over-under, keeping in mind his age and stature?
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Good Value can mean alot of things.
What's he shooting at?

My first thought though is a Remington 1100 or 1187. The gas operation will lighten recoil. Neither gun is terribly expensive and the action is tried and true. Also the guns can be had in multiple configurations, parts are easy to find and if you lose a choke just find a wal-mart they will have it.

If the stock is too long try the youth stock.

Have him shoot Hevi-Shot or Federal Tungsten these perform far better than steel and will kill better in 2.75" and he won't have to take the punishment of 3" High Velocity Steel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Texas Hunter. What do you think of the Benelli M1? I realize it's more than the 1187, but it seems like it might be a fantastic fit.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
M1's are great but if you are looking for a great duck gun go with a synthetic Beretta 391 they are wonderful with very,very mild recoil even with 3" magnum loads and they are cheaper than M1's and are Super-Reliable and unlike M1's, 391's will shoot ultra light 24 gram target loads.With M1's they will only fuction with 1 1/8 3 dram loads or heavier. You can also get them in Advantage Wetlands Camo and a few other patterns.
M1's are really field and heavy load only guns.
but 391's will do it all and then some.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Pigeonhunter, the M1 Super 90 is the 3" Benelli, not the SuperBlackEagle, which is the 3.5" gun. The SBE was the one that had issues with light loads. The M1 shoots like the Legacy and shoots the 7/8oz and 1oz loads with no problems.

Wildroad, I think that the 1100, the 391, or the M1 will serve your needs. As to value....well there is a large price jump between ones that are mentioned. New starting in the $500-900 range. Just depends on what you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I have seen on three diffrent occasions a montefeltro and two M1's fail to fuction with 1oz light target loads and even benelli reccomends to use 1 1/8 3 dram loads.In a simple childish taunting. "Beretta's are better than Benelli's neener neener neener.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
If you want to spend Benelli kind of money, I'd look at the 3 B's.

Benelli, Browning, Beretta. I had this choice last year and went with Browning, I just liked it better. Benelli seemed kind of light and I wasn't that enamored with the recoil system, it's the greatest for high volume shooting but I prefer the lighter kick of the gas operated. The Beretta was a close second I really just didn't like the look of the fore end on the thing.

That being said if I were getting my grandfather a gun I'd probably go with the Remington 11-87.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
What no Mossberg fans???? Check out the Mossberg 835 with a 28 to 30 inch barrel. Mine has shoot more geese then I could count. The pattern is consitant but the recoil on the 24 inch barrel while leave you wondering why your shooting those can can's above your head. Hey has anyone seen the new 935 from mossberg? None of the stores in my area are carrying it yet and I can't wait to check it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the 3 B's approach.

Try to find a Beretta Pintail, ES100 or Waterfowl (Galyans has them for $499 now). All of these are less than $500, shoot 3" shells, if your Dad's like mine, recoil is a concern. These three options have no adjustment to the cycle system as in a few of the recoil operated autos. And all three are light weight, as compared to the Xtrema or Super Black Eagle.

I shoot a Beretta Xtrema for waterfowl (and doves) and 5 stand, absorbs the 3.5" mags and cycles the 1 oz. loads. Add a Briley light modified extended black choke to whatever you get, you good for all around - waterfowl/upland/trap, should you choose.

Over and unders do tend to have more recoil, as compared to the semi-auto.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best value is the Winchester X2 3.5in----even though I don't own one----but have been looking real hard at em. I have 2 Beretta autos and 2 Benelli pumps with 870 thrown in too---lol.

The X2 seems well made and costs less than the Beretta and Benelli autos.
A $50 rebate is currently being offered---so even cheaper.

The gas operation will soften the recoil and it really seemed to fit me well---short arms here too and was wearing a sweatshirt and jean jacket. It still came right up without snagging.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The one do all shotgun. IMHO - Beretta Xtrema. I use both of mine in the field (from Doves to Waterfowl) and on the range (using the camo one is worth the funny faces!). Not exactly light enough for a day of upland, but the Urika 391 fits that requirement.

They absorb recoil, simple operation, synthetic stock with coat metal or flat finish. Only negative is a poor design on the sling mount.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had my SBE since 94. When it was brand new it had trouble cycling light loads. After one season of waterfowl hunting it would cycle everything fine. SBE's aren't pretty, they just work. They are just a good tool. If you shoot a lot and in bad conditions, it is a great gun. I hunt with friends that have x2, pintail, browning's, mossbergs, remingtons just about everything under the sun. I think they are all good guns. I think the more expensive guns are more durable and will function with more neglect. I would buy the gun that fits.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The SBE is a very nice shotgun. The recoil operated Benelli and Berettas do make an odd sound when cycling. Some people complain about front barrel lift from the the recoil cycle.

Like you said, if the shotgun fits, parrallel to eye (LOP) that is the one to buy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.