Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
28" Vent Rib Pump Combo Reg. 279.99 for 219.99 -OR-
'Security' 8--shot Barrel Model Reg. 299.99 for 219.99

Early Bird sale is from 6AM to 3PM afterwards the price goes to 229.99 (each) until 27 Nov 05. Both include a security cable. Also a 18.5 extra barrel is included. Not sure if with both or just the 28" model. The "extra barrel" image and text is at the top center of the ad followed by the 28" model.

From the image I think the 'security' model is the following:
500 Persuader/Cruiser 8 Shot (Moss Num. 50577) with comes with bead sight, 8 round capacity, cylinder bore, Blue finish and weight in at 7 lbs. I say I think becuase no model number is given just the image of the 'security' shotgun. Based on that I looked it up in the Moss catalog and that was the closest thing I could match.

Happy Turkey Day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Good looking out. I puchased the Combo gun back in August for that price. 50482 is the Combo 5+1 from Big 5. it included the 28" VR and the 18.5" smooth bore. the VR has fixed choke. Pretty nice gun. Especially after selling the extra barrel for $50 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is it two different shotguns?

1. Combo 28" barrel with an extra 18.5" barrel with a 5+1 capacity?

AND

2. The 500 Persuader/Cruiser 8 Shot?

Is that correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,919 Posts
I saw big 5 in mira mesa had a combo gun on the rack (not on sale a few days ago) and it had the 28 inch bbl and HD 18 bbl of course, but no mag extension.

mag extensions are not problem and i feel the 28 inch vent rib is where the value is since it is useful for sporting purposes or at least something to try out to see how much better an improved choke tube patterns.

I think it also will need the police style tactical grip in the future as well, but my thought is to get the extra barrel since they are a major cost individually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
jediagh said:
So is it two different shotguns?

1. Combo 28" barrel with an extra 18.5" barrel with a 5+1 capacity?

AND

2. The 500 Persuader/Cruiser 8 Shot?

Is that correct?
Here's the difference. With the 500a model, you get two barrels, an 18.5 and a 28 inch barrel, they call this the combo deal. The mag capacity on this one is 6 (5+1). You can sell one of the barrels which is what I did to make it even a sweeter deal. I paid $199 for mine at Big 5 and sold the barrel for $50.

The other model is a 8 round capacity persuader/security model. It looks more tactical but you cannot sell the extra barrel. In addition, I'm not sure on this but if you get the sidewinder, you may need the adapter for this one. (correction, you do not need the adapter)

I bought two of them in October for $199 each. One is all stock and I put the sidewinder kit on the other one. This one will also have the specops with the combo pack and probably ghost sites or the eotech.

ANyway, it's your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
mike100 said:
I saw big 5 in mira mesa had a combo gun on the rack (not on sale a few days ago) and it had the 28 inch bbl and HD 18 bbl of course, but no mag extension.

mag extensions are not problem and i feel the 28 inch vent rib is where the value is since it is useful for sporting purposes or at least something to try out to see how much better an improved choke tube patterns.

I think it also will need the police style tactical grip in the future as well, but my thought is to get the extra barrel since they are a major cost individually.
the 28inch barrel you get with this is a modified fixed choke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TacFan said:
Here's the difference. With the 500a model, you get two barrels, an 18.5 and a 28 inch barrel, they call this the combo deal. The mag capacity on this one is 6. You can sell one of the barrels which is what I did to make it even a sweeter deal. I paid $199 for mine at Big 5 and sold the barrel for $50.

The other model is a 8 round capacity persuader/security model. It looks more tactical but you cannot sell the extra barrel.
Why can't you sell the extra barrel?

In addition, I'm not sure on this but if you get the sidewinder, you may need the adapter for this one.
Not really an issue for me for THIS shotgun. I don't have any plans of adding the sidewinder to THIS one. I want get a Moss MARINER (9 capacity) version and put a sidewinder on that one. Off course that is long term becuase that will be a $900 project. =)

Just an FYI on the Sidewinder I got this info from the Knoxx website.

* The Mossberg ® version of the Sidewinder will fit the following 12-gauge Mossberg ® pump shotguns: 500, 500A, Cruiser, Persuader, 590, 590A1, Maverick 88, and most other versions with dual action bars. All Mossberg ® 590 versions and all 9-shot models will require the purchase of a Knoxx-supplied adapter($19.95) to complete the conversion.

So the Persuader will NOT need the adapter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
jediagh said:
TacFan said:
Here's the difference. With the 500a model, you get two barrels, an 18.5 and a 28 inch barrel, they call this the combo deal. The mag capacity on this one is 6. You can sell one of the barrels which is what I did to make it even a sweeter deal. I paid $199 for mine at Big 5 and sold the barrel for $50.

The other model is a 8 round capacity persuader/security model. It looks more tactical but you cannot sell the extra barrel.
Why can't you sell the extra barrel?

In addition, I'm not sure on this but if you get the sidewinder, you may need the adapter for this one.
Not really an issue for me for THIS shotgun. I don't have any plans of adding the sidewinder to THIS one. I want get a Moss MARINER (9 capacity) version and put a sidewinder on that one. Off course that is long term becuase that will be a $900 project. =)

Just an FYI on the Sidewinder I got this info from the Knoxx website.

* The Mossberg ® version of the Sidewinder will fit the following 12-gauge Mossberg ® pump shotguns: 500, 500A, Cruiser, Persuader, 590, 590A1, Maverick 88, and most other versions with dual action bars. All Mossberg ® 590 versions and all 9-shot models will require the purchase of a Knoxx-supplied adapter($19.95) to complete the conversion.

So the Persuader will NOT need the adapter.
you can't sell the extra barrel because it doesn't come with one :eek:

Thanks for the clarification on the persuader. Here's my question though, why would you get the sidewinder for a 9 shot capacity shotgun ... just for the quick magazine swapping ? you will be getting rid of the mag tube on the mariner but you must like the looks of the mariner better ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the persuader. Here's my question though, why would you get the sidewinder for a 9 shot capacity shotgun ... just for the quick magazine swapping ? you will be getting rid of the mag tube on the mariner but you must like the looks of the mariner better ?
That's what i was thinking if your going to pay the extra amount of $$ for the 9 shot mag tube then why spend the $$ on a sidewinder? Do you know that the sidewinder replaces your current mag tube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
jediagh said:
So is it two different shotguns?

1. Combo 28" barrel with an extra 18.5" barrel with a 5+1 capacity?

AND

2. The 500 Persuader/Cruiser 8 Shot?

Is that correct?
Correct, Except I believe the 5+1 is called the Cruiser and the other one with the larger mag is called the Persuader. I could be wrong but that is the impression I am under :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Shane916 said:
jediagh said:
So is it two different shotguns?

1. Combo 28" barrel with an extra 18.5" barrel with a 5+1 capacity?

AND

2. The 500 Persuader/Cruiser 8 Shot?

Is that correct?
Correct, Except I believe the 5+1 is called the Cruiser and the other one with the larger mag is called the Persuader. I could be wrong but that is the impression I am under :)
the one that comes with the two barrels is the 500a model. It is stamped in the receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
kdolloff said:
the one that comes with the two barrels is the 500a model. It is stamped in the receiver.
Are you sure because mine is a 500a and i only got one barrel?
yeah I just bought two of them last month and both of them are the 500a model and both of them came with an 18.5 inch barrel and a 28 inch fixed choke barrel. Maybe different big 5 locations are offering different deals ? :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kdolloff said:
Thanks for the clarification on the persuader. Here's my question though, why would you get the sidewinder for a 9 shot capacity shotgun ... just for the quick magazine swapping ? you will be getting rid of the mag tube on the mariner but you must like the looks of the mariner better ?
That's what i was thinking if your going to pay the extra amount of $$ for the 9 shot mag tube then why spend the $$ on a sidewinder? Do you know that the sidewinder replaces your current mag tube?
Oh.. was not aware of this... But the MARINER is just a dream right now. :D They do offer a 6 capacity MARINER as well. =) But if you end up lossing the nice finish when you replace it with the SIDEWINDER than it might not be the best thing.

Hum.. there was a post a while back on a compnay that does custom paintjobs for shotguns. See here:
http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/

Perhaps they could do the same finish like the MARINER version to the sidewinder kit. AS you might have guess the "Dream Shotgun" is more for show nice and shinny. But something that willl have to wait at least a year before I can save up enough for it. Up next on the list of things I want is a flat screen big screen monitor for my PC. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,919 Posts
You can't lose on either one at that price..shoot, you said they are even throwing in the ca approved gun lock needed 4 the sale and all you really are gonna get is the paper work and the tax and top of the $219. not gonna get any cheaper in San Diego Co.

I'd still get the combo because i like the long tube and a fixed mod contriction is a good all around setup. you will need to scour ebay for the 2 round mag extension and a more tactical foregrip since the combo looked like a sporter grip.

on the other hand, the 8+1 persuader must be a 20 inch bbl with a 3 rd extension. if you want a mariner..i say skip this one. no reason to duplicate it in an economy model.

hehe.. you probably aren't even going to read this since youre probably camping outside the big 5 like all those people waitng 4 the new xboxes.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top