Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the archery seasons either already in full swing or about to kick off lets take a little time to talk deer or elk or hogs or turkeys or, well you get the picture. Who is going to spend time this fall hunting big game and what's your method? When you score or just want to tell about a hunt share it with all of us.

I'll be hunting in MO for archery & firearms deer. If I have any remaining tags in late season I'll be out with either the 44 mag revolver or the Knight muzzle loader too. Our archery season starts 9/15 but I probably won't hunt for a couple weeks while I'm finishing up some tasks before winter sets in. When I do get out this year I'll be using a crossbow instead of my Mathews compound due to some shoulder issues. November will find me out with anyone of several rifles for my week of vacation. Flat out my favorite time of year is just around the corner. :D :D :D

Hope to see lots of hero pics in the weeks/months to come. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,868 Posts
I will be hunting Missouri's archery, firearms, and alternative methods seasons as well. I have a Bear compound bow and my wife has a Barnett crossbow. I may use the crossbow some this year since they are legal for everyone. In addition, my wife and I were drawn for the managed deer hunt at Caney Mountain Oct. 15th and 16th. It is a muzzleloader hunt and we both have CVA .50 caliber rifles. I have a Remington R-25 .308 I use during rifle season. Good luck to everyone and I hope to see some stories soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
The wife and I drew rifle antlerless elk tags in Az for next month. The hunt starts on the 14th and runs through the 20th. I'll be going up in the morning to set up and brush in the ground blind and place a trail cam on the salt lick (legal to use in Az). She will get the first shot with her trusty Marlin 336 .30-30 and I will be back up with my Ruger M77 in .30-06. I hope to spend the last 2 weeks of Oct. butchering a lot of meat. If successful pictures and stories will definitely be posted. Good hunting all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GC sounds like fun. I've been elk hunting once 20 years ago on an archery hunt in CO. Was the time of my life. Never drew my bow but saw lots of elk & mule deer and some awesome country. Doubt I'll ever get to go back but I'll never forget the chance I had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got out for my first archery hunt this morning. Was pretty uneventful other than being smelled by 3 different deer. All 3 managed to come in from behind me and while I never got a glimpse of any of them they sure let me know they were aware of my presence. Lots of snorting back in the cedar thicket I was hunting by. The wind was nearly nonexistent so not sure how they winded me except maybe my thermocell. :? Oh well at least I know the deer are there and maybe next time it'll play out better. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
jac63 here's the finished brush up of the ground blind. There's an Ameristep Dog House under all those ferns. It sits 50yds from the lick with 3 shooting lanes that cover the trail leading into it. There were several different sized elk tracks around the blocks when I checked it this morning. The trail cam is set up and I'll check it for pictures when we go up to set up camp in about 10 days.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
jac63 said:
Got out for my first archery hunt this morning. Was pretty uneventful other than being smelled by 3 different deer. All 3 managed to come in from behind me and while I never got a glimpse of any of them they sure let me know they were aware of my presence. Lots of snorting back in the cedar thicket I was hunting by. The wind was nearly nonexistent so not sure how they winded me except maybe my thermocell. :? Oh well at least I know the deer are there and maybe next time it'll play out better. :D
I quickly learned to hate that sound as I heard it fairly constantly when I first started bowhunting. Lots of trial and error in those days as I slowly gained experience and learned how to blend into the landscape both visually and scent wise. Good luck jac. Looking forward to seeing pictures when you get your hands on those horns. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man that is an awesome job brushing in the blind. Something I never seem to do a very good job at. I don't use a ground bind too often but when I do it's never anything close to that good. Mostly a spring turkey tactic for me and fortunately turkeys don't seem to even notice a fresh set blind.
I don't get busted by deer too often as I try really hard to play the wind. But those times when there isn't much wind or it's inconsistent make it difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,787 Posts
You guys are some VERY SOPHISTICATED hunters. I go to the area I intend to hunt, check the wind then plop my butt on the ground with my back against a tree and sit still. Works for whitetail on private land in Ct. But whitetail on private land in Ct is very different than other hunting. Please keep telling us the techniques you use so I can be prepared for when I don't have the luxury of hunting private land.

Best...2few
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,202 Posts
CG504, that is an impressive stand (hut)

cdb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,868 Posts
My wife and I went yesterday and I saw 3 deer and she saw one. No shots. Out of bow range for me and the one my wife saw disappeared behind some brush and never came out. Must have headed straight away from her. One of the ones I saw made me but didn't know what I was. She was about 60 yards out through the brush and kept doing the head bob thing to try and get me to move. She must have stayed there and did that for close to 45 minutes. When her head was up, I could see the sun behind her illuminate her ears. Next time out will be our muzzleloader managed deer hunt in 2 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,787 Posts
double20 said:
My wife and I went yesterday and I saw 3 deer and she saw one. No shots. Out of bow range for me and the one my wife saw disappeared behind some brush and never came out. Must have headed straight away from her. One of the ones I saw made me but didn't know what I was. She was about 60 yards out through the brush and kept doing the head bob thing to try and get me to move. She must have stayed there and did that for close to 45 minutes. When her head was up, I could see the sun behind her illuminate her ears. Next time out will be our muzzleloader managed deer hunt in 2 weeks.
I LOVE it when that happens! Stare downs with deer are cool! Once had it happen with Momma and 2 fawns from a range of about 20 feet for about 10 minutes. Pawing the ground. Blowing. Head bobbing. The whole 9 yards. COOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
All of my hunting is done on public land, national forest or Az state land and some times you have to hide from the 2 legged animals as much as from the 4 legged ones. It's always a gamble leaving gear unattended on public land.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,202 Posts
I always hunted the family farm, I would set my hut out in September, and take it down in December, didn't have to worry about anyone messing with it.

cdb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,787 Posts
Yup. Hunting private land where you are the only person allowed to hunt is very different from hunting public land. When I hunted deer on military bases in Va it was a whole different way of hunting than private land here in Ct. Took me a few years to figure it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Private land for me too, in fact it belongs to the wife and I. We don't have a big place (90 acres) but it's enough for me and a friend or two and we always manage to kill a few whitetails every year. It is nice to be reasonably sure that equipment left in the field will be there when you return.
I have a great deal of respect for the guys and gals who consistently put meat on the pole on public ground. It takes a great deal of skill to out wit the hard pressured game of public land year after year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speaking of leaving gear in the field, I have a semi humorous tale from saturday. I had put a 16' ladder stand up on a clover field on the back side of my place 3-4 years ago and had just left it out since. Saturday evening I went in to it for the first time since last year and when I got there I just clipped my bow to the haul rope and started up the ladder. About 4-5 rungs up I thought this seems a bit wobbly. Looking up I saw that the top section platform/seat had pulled apart and was nearly 8" away from the ladder. I was climbing a ladder that was just sticking up in the air above the horizontal brace that goes back to the tree trunk. I quickly abandoned the stand for the evening and went to another location. :lol: Glad I didn't go there in the dark for an AM hunt. We had a bad storm back in April and several tress near by had been blown down, I suspect the one my stand was in got to swaying so much it pulled the stand apart. I now have it back at the house and will drill some holes through the legs and pin the sections together before I replace it in the field.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
I'll finish loading the truck, after my morning coffee, and the wife and I will be heading up to elk camp. Hopefully nobody messed with the "fern castle" while I was gone but I'll find out after we get camp set up. I'll go in and check the trail cam for pictures. Our hunt starts Friday and I can hardly wait. I'll post pictures and story when I get back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,787 Posts
CG504 said:
I'll finish loading the truck, after my morning coffee, and the wife and I will be heading up to elk camp. Hopefully nobody messed with the "fern castle" while I was gone but I'll find out after we get camp set up. I'll go in and check the trail cam for pictures. Our hunt starts Friday and I can hardly wait. I'll post pictures and story when I get back.
Really looking forward to your posts about Elk Camp! I know it is a lot to ask, but perhaps you could post a new thread and either from notes or from camp (if you have service) give us a day-by-day account of your Elk Hunt?

Best....2few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
jac63 said:
Private land for me too, in fact it belongs to the wife and I. We don't have a big place (90 acres) but it's enough for me and a friend or two and we always manage to kill a few whitetails every year. It is nice to be reasonably sure that equipment left in the field will be there when you return.
I have a great deal of respect for the guys and gals who consistently put meat on the pole on public ground. It takes a great deal of skill to out wit the hard pressured game of public land year after year.
"we don't have a big place (90 acres)" jac63 that's a pretty big place by my standards. Some of the private land up here has habitat for wildlife but most doesn't. There are some subdivisions that have elk roaming through them but they butt up to the national forest of the indian reservation.

One thing I learned over the years is that you lose 90% of the other hunters if you travel a 1/2 mile away from the road. It gets you away from the lazy ones and leaves a lot of territory for the serious ones. I like to leave the lazy ones behind, it's quieter out there.
 
1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top