Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are chukar and grouse the same bird?I believe they are. I have often referred to gouse meaning chukar.They look the same. (look at famous grouse whisky) Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
A Chukar, (Alectoris chukar) is found wild in the desert south west. Is actually a partridge. This is a non-native translocated species, just like the ring-necked pheasant and is originally from the Afgahan/Pakistan desert area. They are easy to breed and are used in many canned hunt operations across the states and the world.www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/...882id.htmlGrouse are a seperate genus, are native to the states, there are several species found across the desert southwest all the way up into Alaska and Canada.www.state.ak.us/local/akp...grouse.htmThe introduction of non-native species has been going on for some time, all the grackles that you see are derived from a second flock of about 50 birds that were introduced in NY during the 1800's, the first birds died, too bad the second flock did not, also the Rock Pigeon that is found in about every city is an introduced species as well. The grackles were brought in as song birds so that the displaced Europeans would feel more at home. WI introduced pheasant in 1929. Hungarian partridges were introduced the following year, chukar in 1932. This is the same time period of the great Aldo Leopold, he is the father of modern conservation so there are numerous references to him in the research data. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Th fact that chukars were brought into the states makes sense, since Europe is full of them ( but has no native turkeys)However in Europe chukar and grouse appear to describe the same bird.Just look at the whisky bottle!! Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
DKS this website might be helpful www.gbwf.net/main.html I use Bluebook pricing most of the time.When you get an estimate from me use this structuring guide:For insurance purposes Full value for condition.For curious , same.(grandpa's gun IS that valuable)Buyers, use three grades lower than condition for price and work up slowly.For sellers, full price for condition and be prepared to go down as the market will bear.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
What you are likely encountering, as I am not familiar with the whiskey that you are talking about is the use of common names. The robin here is not the same as the robin in Europe, but they called it one cause it looked similar. Another good example is shad...the grizzard shad that is found in the TN river system is deffinetly not the same critter eaten on the east coast nor is it the same one eaten in Europe.So, no they are still not the same bird, although it may be called the same thing by the pesky folks in the Isles. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are probably right.The moral of the story is that if you go to the UK and ask to shoot chukars they will think you are mad Its not how well you shoot , its how much noise your gun makes

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
At the very least crackers :lol There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.