Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This deer season I would like to take along some shells for grouse, 'cause sometimes I think they're the only thing in the woods. :lol: Does anyone know what will happen If I shoot birdshot through a rifled barrel? I figure it's like a cylinder choke, which is fine, but what will the rifling twisting the wad do?
Somebody's tried this before..........right?

·
Registered
262 Posts
i believe it would spin the wad and shot acting like a spreader choke which i believe are rifiled to spin the wad. the range would be fairly short due to the cyl. choke and spun wad. i see no ill effects from this but i would go and pattern it first just to find the max range because of the open choke and spinning stuff

skog

G

·
You will never get a deer if your shooting at grouse the deer are going to hear the boom and get scared so your guranteed no deer. IF you look in the owners manual for mossberg remington and browning they do not recomend shooting shot through rifled barrels.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, at a minimum, it'll blow the pattern, so I wouldn't bother doing it.

Jeff23

G

·
Jeff23 said:
Well, at a minimum, it'll blow the pattern, so I wouldn't bother doing it.

Jeff23
i wanna see you go hunting with 2 barrels, if you see a grouse, kneel down like davey crocket, switch barrels, and after 15 minutes if the bird is still there, let him have it, reassemble and warm up the barbecue for the homecoming deer. lol

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
If you want to do this, shoot smooth bore slug barrels and foster slugs. Your range in diminished but you won't waste money or cleaning time on your grooves.

What does your owners manual say?

·
Registered
476 Posts
As most said you effective range will deminish. You will also have to clean the barrel very well. Over all it is not a good idea. The spinning wad can do some odd things to the pattern. I once shot a shotshell thru a friends rifled barrel mossy 500 and as soon as the wadding left the barrel it started wissleing at a very high frequency. The wadding fell about 20 feet in front of me and I was shooting at a 45 degree angle pointing up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts