Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got asked to reload some non-tox shot for a group of duck hunters and don't know if I have to have a certain charge bar or not. I know there is a specific bar for steel and since they are on sale locally I don't mind picking one up, of course I have to buy the drop tube and bottle kit to go with it. So can I use a standard lead charge bar for non-tox other than steel or do I just need to buy the steel kit and use it?

Thank you for your time.
Ricky.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Ricky,

What I would do is just use the machine as is, since I was just doing one batch and wouldn't be doing it on a regular basis.

The only difference is I would make a dipper for the shot charge I wanted and drop the shot in by hand. You wouldn't need anything special if you did that.

You could make a dipper out of an old shell case. Attach a wire handle to it for convienience and go. You could weigh a shot load and then cut the case to just hold that load when level full, giving a quick and east way to measure the shot. A pellet or two either way variation won't make any difference.

Unless you are going to be loading that stuff on a regular basis, I wouldn't bother with converting the press to load Steel, or Bismuth or whatever.

DLM

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Question on the Steel Shot Bar,I was told that I need to buy the Steel Shot kit to reload my own Steel Shot Shells
and ALL that is in the Kit is the Bottle with a Larger Hole in the top,and the Steel Drop Tube
NOW,I have 2 MEC 600 MECS and 1 is PRE 1980 and 1 is from about 1985,,my OLDER MEC has a Steel Drop tube that came with it,,and the other MEC has a Black Plastic Drop Tube
Now,My Questions is this: do I STILL need a Steel Drop tube if my OLD Mec is so old the drop tube is steel AND can I just Buy a Steel Bottle for a few Bucks ??? or I could even ream out some plastic from the Mouth of 1 of my OLD Lead Bottles,since I dont even use some of my Old Lead Bottles ???
and I already Know that I have to buy a Steel Shot Bar,and I can get a new one for $10
I am VERY New to the Steel Shot Game,,I have enough Factory Shells for the rest of this year,But I would like to learn this Steel Shot Loading before next Summer
Thank You Very Much
Bob

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
BOB
As far as the bottle goes, I believe a plastic Coke bottle, 20 Oz. will fit the threads and you can cut a hole in the bottom with a hole saw for filling. This has the wide mouth and will work. The only difference in MEC's bottles is the wide neck opening on the Steel bottles and the narrow opening on the standard bottles, which is only there to seal and hold down the rubber grommet, when using the standard brass washer/rubber grommet setup under the powder bottle. If using a PC powder baffle on the powder side, wide mouth bottles work fine on either side. I havent used the rubber grommets in years.

As far as the steel drop tubes, I think they only use the steel ones because the tube is thinner and that makes the hole through it larger, which helps eliminate shot bridging with the larger shot. I have both plastic and steel drop tubes in various machines and with small bird shot it makes no difference at all. But I can see where large steel might have a bridging problem.

DLM

·
Registered
323 Posts
The original post asked about bismuth. And now we are talking steel. Bismuth is much heavier than steel. The dipper idea is a good one if you are only going to do a couple boxes or so. Otherwise it is the bar on the press. You can check your lead bars for what they throw in bismuth and judge what size bushing you need from that. You may be able to get a lead bushing that will throw the bismuth load you want, even if the weight is a little different from the same volume of lead. I would contact MEC CS with the bismuth load you want to load and ask for a bushing recommendation. Other than that, I would load bismuth as I would lead.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Spacegold,

MEC does not use bushings for the shot, rather they have a fixed cavity for the shot.

So, a phone call to CS would be necessary to find the right bar to order, unless you already had a selection that you might try first by trial and error.

DLM

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
For bismuth I use the lead shot bars. I find that using the next heavier lead bar than the bismuth load (example: use the 1 1/4 oz lead bar for 1 1/8 oz bismuth) gets me pretty close. One may have to remove a few pieces of shot or add depending on the shot size. If I have to remove shot, I'll often add some tape to the inside of the bar until it throws the weight I want. An adjustable shot/powder bar works well too, once you figure out the correct adjustment.

Ohiyesa,
The metal drop tube in your old MEC is not the same as the steel drop tube in the kit. The word "steel" in the steel shot kit is in reference to the material of the shot, not the material the tube is made of. The material is not the issue but instead the inside diameter of the tube. The steel shot kit has a drop tube (which may be of some type of metal) with a larger internal diameter to lessen the incidence of shot bridging while loading large sized shot. The steel drop tube that originally came with your loader has the same smaller internal diameter as the plastic ones of later machines.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pick up a Universal Charge Bar and just go ahead and load. I loaded steel on MEC Grabber for a long time just as it was other than the UCB. I don't see why bismuth would be any different. The steel shot conversion kit has a larger drop tube to prevent bridging of larger shot size. I have loaded up to #2 shot with no problem. I know some do not like the UCB, but it is all I use.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thank you , Mr. Marcum. I did not know that about MEC. I thought when they went to bushed bars they went powder and shot both as did Texan long before them. I used to use the old fixed bars until I finally got a Texan bar that I much prefer over an adjustable. For one of my presses I even made a Texan bar out of 1" square cold rolled bar stock. Texan bushings are pretty easy to machine as well, out of any 3/4 and 7/8" round bar. They are also available from time to time on ebay. If you get one with a smaller bore, you can drill it out to throw whatever powder or shot load you want.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank You to Everyone for the info
Uglydog
I knew the Steel Drop tube wasn't meaning for Steel Shot,,but my Buddy Bought a "Steel" Kit and the Drop Tube was made of Steel and it looked JUST LIKE the Drop Tube made of Steel that I Got with my OLD MEC loader,,BUT I never measured the
I.D. of either Drop Tube,,so I WILL just go ahead and get the
"Steel" Kit and then buy the Steel Charge Bar

NOW About the Bismuth Shot,,I see where people are saying to just use their LEAD Charge Bar and ALL Lead Components
How Much Does Bismuth Cost per Pound,,or Per 25 Lb Bag ???
is it MUCH CHEAPER to load your OWN Bismuth Loads ???
I Know that the PRICE of Bismuth Shells is CRAZY !!!
But I found a Place where I bought 10 Boxes of Winchester Bismuth 3" Shells and #2 Shot for $15 a Box,,would it even be Worth Loading my own Bismuth if I am getting 10 Shells,3" Mag
Bismuth #2 for $15 ???
What would be the Limit on Price,,to where it IS Worth Loading your OWN Bismuth ??? I mean IF a Box of 10 Bismuth Shells cost X Amount of Dollars,,then what is the X Amount ,,that makes it WORTH the Reloading ??? I know it ISN'T like me reloading my own Rifle & Pistol for the ACCURACY,,because the
10 Boxes of Bismuth that I Bought patterns very good in my Stoeger 2000,,HECK,I haven't found a Shotgun Shell yet that DOESN'T Shoot well in my Gun.
But I was just curious what the "Cut off" Price is on Bismuth shells,,when it is or isn't feasible to Load your own Bismuth?
Than You ALL Very Much
Ohiyesa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.