Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be participating in a skeet shoot this weekend.Rules are,"no technology post 1900".I'll be shooting a nitro proofed Belgian 20ga. SxS, using British made black powder loads.I've read that black powder is water,not oil,soluable.This I kind of remembered from shooting the old man's muzzle loaders as a kid. I've since gotten verbal advice not to oil the bores,but to run a greased patch down them,prior to the shoot,instead.At first I thought"great!" then I started wondering about clean-up.In my mind I would then have a mix of solvent/water soluable gunk,and wouldn't be sure of the results when one or the other was first used for cleaning.Anyone got any better ideas?Magic potions?Would starting with a dry bore work better? Thanks,Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you where shooting a rifle,then yes you do want to grease it first,I like thompson center bore butter,as for the shot gun,I have never 'buttered'the bore,and have had no problems.as for cleaning,according to the directions with my knight rifle,they recomended cleaning it with hot soapy water.the way I do this is ,run a bath tub full of water,just like you where taking a bath,add enough dish soap to make the water suddsy,then poor some down the bore.let this soak for a minute,then take a 20ga. copper bore brush and run it up&down the bore 5 to 10 times as this should loosen up the soot.then rinse,add more soap,take a 12ga.cloth bore brush and scrub the snot out if it,rinse,then run dry patches thru it till they come out clean.when they come out clean,either set the gun out side in the sun with a good breeze blowing on it,or take a blow drier or compressed air and blow it dry.when dry,coat ALL metal surfaces with W-D 40 so it dose not rust.it should take you a couple of hours to proporly clean a black powder gun.you problely all ready know that black powder is very corosive,so you must clean itA.S.A.P. I clean all my B.P. guns like I siad and have had no trouble so far.

G

·
To make clean up easier, if you reload your own shells? there happens to be a new powder out that takes the mess out of blck powder shooting it is called 777, and this stuff is the cleanest burning b.p. suppulment on the market.With your SxS make sure after bathing you use compressed air and blow out the gap running down your center rib since water is bound to collect there.RON KONTOWSKY8o

·
Registered
6 Posts
hay Ron,that fancy new 777 powder your talking about,is that hodgdon triple 7?I would like to try this stuff.Don't shoot much b.p. shotgun(only own one,a no name 16ga. smooth bore muzzle loader,and its a wall hanger family hairloom),but we shot a lot of .50cal rifle and .44cal cap&ball revolver and let me tell you what,clean up on these guns are a pain in my back side.I hate it so much I have concidered buying a savage smokeless powder muzzle loader for late deer season.And by the way Jim,Red is a nick name from my old stock car racing days,and fred just sounded good after it.:\ happy shootin' RED:| :| :| :| :|

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ron, I don't reload currently,but I'm thinking of starting in time for this event next year.Does the 777 still smoke quite a bit?That seems to be the standard by which the "blackpowder" rule is enforced in this case.As far as water trapped between the barrels,my gun is particularly tricky in that area.No openings large enough to blow compressed air through effectively.I removed the sling swivel from the lower rib to allow a couple of large openings for steam to escape.Then "baked" the barrels in the oven for about an hour at 215 deg.F,in theory,to boil away any water trapped there.I then put a few drops of oil down the open screw holes,and oiled the bores and outer surfaces while still warm.This seems to have worked.Do you see any possible negative side effects with this process?It was all I could come up with at the time. By the way.It turned out that this wasn't a "skeet" shoot in the technical sense.More of a "sporting clays" course designed by some sadistic S.O.B.with a penchant for creating tough shots.I didn't score well,but had a ball.Got to see a lot of fine old guns,Purdies,a matched pair of Churchills,an old pinfire converted to centerfire,etc.A lot of guys dressed in British shooting attire.The finale was a tower shoot designed to replicate a driven hunt,just for fun.Anyway,a good time was had by all. Thanks for all past and present advice. Jim10-4 on the Red,Red.Nice to meet you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.