Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Blaser F16 has been out a few months now. I have not had the opportunity to handle one yet. Has anyone had a chance to handle or shoot an F16?
I'm very curious about the F16 Sporting as compared to my Beretta Silver Pigeon I Sporting.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
There is another thread about this that is recent. I got to shoot the field gun that is written up in Bruce Buck's review in Shooting Sportsman. The field gun was very nice, good triggers, and everyone who tried it shot it well - LH or RH, short or tall, skinny or stocky. I haven't seen the sporting version yet, but if it is as well made as the field gun, it should be on the radar of folks looking for a newer gun above the entry B guns and below the upper end K and P guns

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
it's less than 1% better for 2x the $$$.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. First, I did a search and did not find a thread discussing the Blaser F16. So sorry if I caused a duplication.
Second, I am asking for input from folks that have been able to shoot the F16.
Finally, I understand that the price is higher than the Beretta cost me. That is not the point of the discussion. I am looking for some direct feedback on shooters opinions.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
sera said:
it's less than 1% better for 2x the $$$.
What is the basis for this statement? Have you handled or shot the gun? At 5x the price, does this mean that your Perazzi or Kolar are 2.5% better?

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
andromeda673 said:
what's the MSRP on these bad boys? or this a case of "if you have to ask, then you can't afford it"
The field gun was, IIRC, in the ~$4K range or so

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
andromeda673 said:
what's the MSRP on these bad boys? or this a case of "if you have to ask, then you can't afford it"
The Sporting model has an MSRP of $4,195.00 listed on the Blaser website. The Beretta Silver Pigeon I Sporting I have retails for approximately $2,500.00. I know the Beretta can be found for less and I suspect the Blaser F16 can be found for under MSRP also.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have not shot the F16 but I have spoken to several folks that have. Nothing but good things were said. I have an F3 and I am a big Blaser fan.

The questions of whether or not a sporting gun is worth the extra cost over an SP1 or a 725 is a reasonable one. My 15 year old kicks my butt in skeet with his 725. That said, people will always want something a little nicer.

The F16 is obviously not intended to compete with those excellent entry level B guns. Our sporting clays course is full of Guerinis, Zolis and 692s. The cost of the F3 has exceeded the grasp or desire of most of these shooters. The F16 offers a German alternative to these pricey but not exorbitant Italians. I will always lean towards German products, my wife likes the CG. I think the F16 is well placed to expand the Blaser line.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
not to start a MSRP price war, but at $4195 or so, and I'm assuming that most people are paying less then full blown retail, that puts it nicely into the Zoli and CG gun category, as well as B gun offerings.

Sounds to me like Blaser has a nice price point, and market to get after

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok, I have not shot one; however, I did have a recent thread on this gun and other newer models that are a bit lighter than more traditional, better guns...Perazzi, Zoli, Blazer F3, Beretta DT10 & 11, etc. Granted, the F16 is not intended to be in that company, but like the Browning 725, it is somewhat lighter. My concern will be that after the novelty of newness has worn off, whether shooters will become tired of the lighter gun for sporting clays? Even compared to the very popular CG Summit, the 32" Blaser is apparently lighter than the 30" CG. After a full day of shooting, my guess is that the recoil will become tiresome, even with 1oz. loads. And as I have become more experienced in shooting Sporting Clays, I have come to prefer a slightly heavier, less "lively" gun. Time will tell.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
GG: This gun was designed by a euro-marketing dept. It has NONE of the features that (are supposed to) make the F 3 "special." and at 2x the price of a perfectly good SP I.

If you want a good gun , spring for a Kolar or a Perazzi.

·
Registered
491 Posts
sera said:
It has NONE of the features that (are supposed to) make the F 3 "special."
That's not quite true.

It has the removable breech face of the F3, which allows 1 minute or less access to the firing pins.

It also has the ejector system of the F3, which re-cocks the ejectors as the gun is being opened after firing, instead of while closing the gun like most O/Us.

Lastly, it has the stock/barrel weight system of the F3.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Dave: None of these is actually "special" , right? Just bs marketing hype. Many great guns are going at 1 million rounds w/ out these "features."

But strikers are kinda cool, as is bbl interchangability.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
sera said:
Dave: None of these is actually "special" , right? Just bs marketing hype. Many great guns are going at 1 million rounds w/ out these "features."

But strikers are kinda cool, as is bbl interchangability.
Actually, they are special in that most other guns (especially in the F16 price bracket and lower) don't have the balancing system, and no other guns that I'm aware of at any price have the removable breech face and ejector system. Just to help you out, Merriam-Webster defines special as "different from what is normal or usual; unusual in a good way: better or more important than others"

Furthermore, the features that Dave lists are useful. How much value is placed on them and other features (build quality, better wood, etc.) will vary from person to person, but they are certainly more than "bs marketing hype".

The fact that many guns have gone a million rounds without these features is meaningless. Guns have also gone a million rounds without adjustable combs, fancy engraving, or dropout trigger groups.

Which brings me back to my original question. Even as you dismiss the F16 at the twice the price of an SP1, you advocate for guns that cost 5-6 times as much. What "features" would explain that, or is it just bigger and better marketing hype? Does hype only exist in the $4,000 price bracket?

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Opinions in the opinion section , how unique :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.