Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm currently in the market for a new upper level O/U shotgun. I would like to spend no more than around 6k, and Blaser seems like a good option to me. At this price point, I would most likely be buying a used F3 or a new sporting F16. My question to you is- Is it worth spending the extra 1.5-2k for the F3? I'm also open to other O/U's in that price range as well. (Quick random question while I'm here as well, what is the receiver height on the Browning Citori CX?) Also, before anyone mentions it, I've been here before and can't remember the sign in details for my last account, so I'm using this one for now.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,358 Posts
At this price range, I would also look at the following:

Zoli Z-Sport
Salvinelli L1
Perazzi MXS
Beretta DT11/DT10

I have no experience with Blaser F16 but when I picked it up at the shop, it seemed a bit too light. I did shot F3 however and, while the weight was just right, the recoil was quite excessive, which might be due to fit. In any case, try to shoot as many gun as you can find to see which fits you and your shooting style the best. Also, check out these articles for even more choices:

http://fowlershotgunning.com/top-5-mid- ... -shotguns/
http://fowlershotgunning.com/top-5-uppe ... -shotguns/

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
Texan875 said:
I would like to spend no more than around 6k, and Blaser seems like a good option to me.
Do NOT overlook a Caesar Guerini. They have several clay target guns in your price bracket starting at just over $3k. They are making strong inroads into the clay target world these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
696 Posts
Tex,

Be sure to look at and try a Zoli Z gun.
They are an excellent design, good looking, have much less recoil than the Blasers and also have a
10 year waranty and excellent service.

CT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
My 17 year old and I both shoot F3s as do several of my best friends. I think the excessive recoil issue is BS. Any 12 gauge that doesn't fit will kick. The F3 is a great gun with outstanding customer service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I agree that recoil is about fit and physics and it doesn't matter which gun. A lot depends on whether you're looking for a long-term keeper or not, high volume or not, a gun to keep and invest in sub-gauge and chokes and adjustable comb, etc. or one to own for two years and move on. The latter is an expensive path.

I'd go for the F3 over the F16. Trigger, interchangeable barrels, weight, etc. is just better enough that you might regret the F16. I've put close to 10,000 rounds through a F3 and it isn't even broken in at that point. 750 rounds of 1 1/8 1,200 fps in a day. Arms got tired. Recoil, didn't get my attention. I got carried away that day and now budget my shooting. That F3 Black Bonsi is one bad looking gun.

I would rank Zoli below the F3 in terms of mechanics but I think it is a better balanced gun. That's an individual issue though. I prefer the forearm, stock finish, non-fiber optic front bead, pistol grip, adjustable-comb-rollover-stock of the mid/high rib on the Zoli over those aspects on the F3. The drop out trigger plate is a cool feature. It is a factor on leaf spring Perazzis but not with coil spring Zolis. So, it's more cool than necessary. New Zolis are getting up in price. It's odd but Zoli always strikes me as a gun that's not quite a Perazzi. Decide whether you can be satisfied with that nuance. However, if the off-the-shelf Zoli fits you well, why bother with a bespoke Perazzi.

I shot one station with a Guerini Ascent and that was a nice gun. Attractive, crisp trigger, balanced, great customer service. Priced well. If you can stay satisfied with it great. If you're just going to be lusting after a Perazzi or F3 or K gun, then, just get the more expensive gun to start with. I think the Guerini can be a forever gun if you can control the lust.

Definitely definitely shoot at least 25 to 50 rounds through a demo. Paxton, Carlson Arms, others can all arrange a demo gun. Or go to Nationals as a shopping adventure. That's my plan.

My opinion anyway from someone shopping, as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rooster booster said:
Have you had a chance to shoot the guns you've mentioned?
Yes, tested both out in trap, around 1 round through each. Both feel very solid but the schnabel foregrip on the F3 feels nicer in the hands, in addition to the triggers that are more crisp. Both shoot fine, but the F3 shoots smoother to me.

Edit: but I still have a hard time justifying the extra cost, but I will be keeping the gun for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Under no circumstances do I recommend the F16 to anyone. I owned one and it kicked more than any gun I have ever owned. I had mine weighing about 8.5# and it still kicked like a lame mule even with 24gr 1300fps loads. I own an F3 that I am contemplating selling because it is finicky with ammo. Even the people at Blaser USA don't recommend the F16 to people, it is a gun built to a price point.

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. I wanted to buy a gun that would last me the rest of my shooting life, I had my choice between any of the flagship models from K, P, Beretta or Blaser and I chose the F3 because it felt the best to me. Now, I have a Perazzi demo and a Krieghoff demo on the way and have been told to steer clear of the Dt11 by a well known dealer. I may just go back to my 391 and buy up everyone of those I can find in decent shape.

Isaac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
edgerat said:
Under no circumstances do I recommend the F16 to anyone. I owned one and it kicked more than any gun I have ever owned. I had mine weighing about 8.5# and it still kicked like a lame mule even with 24gr 1300fps loads. I own an F3 that I am contemplating selling because it is finicky with ammo. Even the people at Blaser USA don't recommend the F16 to people, it is a gun built to a price point.

I was in the same boat as you a month ago. I wanted to buy a gun that would last me the rest of my shooting life, I had my choice between any of the flagship models from K, P, Beretta or Blaser and I chose the F3 because it felt the best to me. Now, I have a Perazzi demo and a Krieghoff demo on the way and have been told to steer clear of the Dt11 by a well known dealer. I may just go back to my 391 and buy up everyone of those I can find in decent shape.

Isaac
What ammo do you have trouble with? Mine shoots anything and everything, and every gauge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I bought a bunch of the Fiocchi shooting dynamics 1oz 1250fps and I have had issues with it shaving off the brass and then the gun will not open. It has also done it with some of the Clever Featherlites. Another guy I know has had issues with the Fiocchi and his gun would fight closing. It is a new gun with less than 1000 through it and I am ready to sell it hehehehehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
edgerat said:
I bought a bunch of the Fiocchi shooting dynamics 1oz 1250fps and I have had issues with it shaving off the brass and then the gun will not open. It has also done it with some of the Clever Featherlites. Another guy I know has had issues with the Fiocchi and his gun would fight closing. It is a new gun with less than 1000 through it and I am ready to sell it hehehehehe.
I have shot those shells. I've never had any of those issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,613 Posts
I shoot them through a K-80 by the pallet, and haven't had any issues. I also have a Benelli that gobbles them up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,563 Posts
edgerat said:
I have a Perazzi demo and a Krieghoff demo on the way and have been told to steer clear of the Dt11 by a well known dealer.
Please elaborate. Why exactly, did this well known dealer tell you to steer clear of the DT 11 ?
Inquiring minds want to know...........................................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
I have had a blaser f3 superskeet with the wood of a supersport, and I have put somewhere between 10-15,000 rounds through it (all gauges because I have briley tubes). Never had one malfunction, and I have used reloads, factory AA's, Clever mirage T1's, gun clubs, STS, estate, and NSI.

I have the high rib, and I wish I would have opted for the mid rib because it seems sturdier and I have always been worried about the screws coming loose on the rib and changing my point of impact. Also the mid rib has a hi viz sight, which I would prefer over the white dot on the end of the superskeet.

Only issues I have had with the F3 is the forend weights coming loose, making me scratch the inside of the forend trying to pry it off due to the screws backing out (blue loctite solved that problem) and the comb coming loose (needs to be tightened occasionally)

I shot an F16 at a tournament and it felt great though, but it has a low rib and I like something a little higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I started shooting an F-3 Vantage this spring, and after about 3000 rounds, I am very pleased with it. Using one ounce loads, recoil is very mild, and it swings very quick for having 32" barrels. The triggers are the best that I have used, and my other clays gun is a K-20. I purchased my F-3 with about 1000 rounds fired, for $5600, which is a bargain here in Canada. I have all of the weights removed, and I like the balance with no weights installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Have had a F16 for almost a year and have shot loads 1oz 1180 fps to 1350 as well as assorted 1 1/8 oz 1200fps and above.
These are generally 100 rd Sporting Clay shoots.
The recoil was not more than same weight Brownings Guerini's Berettas but swing and fit for me was better.
Luv the gun..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
cheecho1960 said:
edgerat said:
I have a Perazzi demo and a Krieghoff demo on the way and have been told to steer clear of the Dt11 by a well known dealer.
Please elaborate. Why exactly, did this well known dealer tell you to steer clear of the DT 11 ?
Inquiring minds want to know...........................................
Ejectors not working right out of the box, cracked stocks, cracked fore-ends, poorly timed. Said a whole batch of DT11s had to go back to Beretta for new stocks because they put them in the wrong case and it dented the pistol grips on brand new guns. I have no skin in the game other than trying to help others not make the same mistakes I have made. I called him before I bought my F3 and have spoken to him after to try and replace my F3.
Isaac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
drawdc said:
edgerat said:
I bought a bunch of the Fiocchi shooting dynamics 1oz 1250fps and I have had issues with it shaving off the brass and then the gun will not open. It has also done it with some of the Clever Featherlites. Another guy I know has had issues with the Fiocchi and his gun would fight closing. It is a new gun with less than 1000 through it and I am ready to sell it hehehehehe.
I have shot those shells. I've never had any of those issues.
This recent batch is the only ones I have had issues with as well. Just a bad lot is what we have come up with. I can shoot them in my 391 without issue.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top