Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any of you fellow F3 SuperSport owners have had any finish wear issues, and if so whether Blaser has warrantied it? Mine has slight finish wear on the bottom of the receiver and trigger guard, making it a grayish silver color instead of black. My gun is only a couple years old and has maybe 2k rounds through it, so I'm hoping Blaser will warranty it and re-coat the receiver, but just wanted to see what you guys have experienced. Aside from this minor issue, I love the gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Skeet_Man said:
Nope, normal wear and tear.
I don't think so. That nitride finish is pretty tough in general. I acquired an F3 last spring and have put about 5k rounds through it during this hot, sweaty summer and the finish looks as good as the day I pulled the gun out of the shipping box. I know a guy who has 30k though his F3 SS and it still looks fresh. I would at least ask Blaser USA or the dealer about getting a repair under warranty.

·
Registered
29,043 Posts
dsevo said:
Wondering if any of you fellow F3 SuperSport owners have had any finish wear issues, and if so whether Blaser has warrantied it? Mine has slight finish wear on the bottom of the receiver and trigger guard, making it a grayish silver color instead of black. My gun is only a couple years old and has maybe 2k rounds through it, so I'm hoping Blaser will warranty it and re-coat the receiver,
Wishful thinking. :| After all, you bought it used to begin with and it is original owner only.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had similar wear on mine - they replaced the receiver. (I was the second owner of the F3) I had to do a transfer as it was a new serial number, they put my wood and barrel on and sent it back. Paid shipping and the transfer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can provide an update to this topic. I have a Blaser F3 that is a few years old. It has some wear on the receiver. I took it by the Blaser trailer at the U.S. Open last week. They said I should send it to them in the off season, leave it with them for about a month, and they could repair it for $250.

It doesn't bother me, so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think most finish wear problems are due to the luck of maintanance and how we handle the gun. After each use a wipe down with a little oil - no harsh cleaners - is a must, to protect it from skin oils-sweat or moisture. Avoid as possible skin condact with all metals. You will notice that most of the wear is at the exact point that we use to rest our fingers. A very fine solution is to wear shooting gloves. Sounds a lot but it is not. Do that and you will have no finish problems for many years.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I spoke to Andre at Blaser about this yesterday. The F3 has a nitride finish protecting/hardening the metal, there is then the oxidation "blue" layer on top of that. They do not recommend you have the gun "re-blued" but a few times in its life because it will degrade the solder holding it together. My question related to corrosion protection more than anything and he said I didn't need to worry about it. He did mention that wiping the gun down after use with a good light coating of oil will go a long way to keeping the finish looking "new."

·
Registered
482 Posts
If I was in the USA, I would send my gun to Blaser this winter to be refinished. However, being in Canada, I may not bother due to the paperwork required to send the gun across the border twice. The finish is wearing far quicker than my Brownings did, even though they are all maintained the same. It's a shame, as I like everything else about the gun.

·
Registered
299 Posts
To those who need a finish that needs no maintenance, rust proof, will last for a really long,long time and is also very appealing, Cerakote finishes espesialy in different rich blacks to choose and you can ask to be made match the original are superb in my opinion. Ask for real demo jobs to see with Cerakote and if its done right they show not at all cheap and you will be more than happy. Do not reject this option at once for the gun status thinking it not appropriate for a Blaser, first see, search and then deside. Propably will do it just once for the rest of the life of the gun.
A sample of a Blaser with Cerakote. The gun is far better in real, like factory job.
https://static2.car.gr/13545011_1_b.jpg
https://static3.car.gr/13545011_0_b.jpg
https://static3.car.gr/13545011_3_b.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cerakote is applied with heat which can effect the solder on the barrels. Based on discussions with Blaser USA I highly doubt you are going to get any warranty work done on your barrels that you applied Cerakote to. The metal on your Blaser is nitrided, and protected from rust as is, the oxidation layer (blue) is just for looks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.