Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week of hunting the wisconsin gun deer season, I finally got a shot and made the most of it. After hardly seeing a deer the first week, I got a deer on saturday. a beautiful fat doe. I was walking out of our spots with my dad and little brother. we were walking along a trail that we use alot to get to our spots. there is a crick(not really a crick unless there is a flood, but its standing water in the shape of a crick) on the side of the trail. we were going to push a spot for my brother but weren't there yet(we usually don't shoot if we're driving. too much could go wrong). all of a sudden, three deer pop up on the opposite side of the crick. it was really thick, and they were running away. I told my dad at least I saw a deer. then something strange happened. they turned, entered the frozen crick, and stopped to look around. by then, they were 90 yards away. i use a remington 870 20 gauge with a 20 inch rifled barrel and the factory open sites. I sited it in at 50 yards, and took shots at the range at 80 yards and was pretty accurate, so I took the shot because they were standing and broadside. I shot, the doe dropped to all fours, crawled across the frozen ice, and died on the opposite bank. didn't move for more than 5 seconds before it was completely dead. I didn't hit it perfectly, i hit it a little back, maybe 5 inches from where i wanted to, but needless to say, i am impressed with the remington copper solid slugs. Even in a 20 gauge, it dispatched of the doe very quickly for not hitting it perfect. the entrance was about the size of a penny and the exit about hte size of a half dollar, and the innards were pretty juiced when I gutted it. We already had a few deer, so I donated it to feed people that need it more than i do. Besides, i read the food pantrys aren't getting as much deer in wisconsin this year than years past. I have photos, but I don't have a scanner so I can't put them up. I'm guessing it weighed about 115-120 pounds. a nice healthy doe. also, that was a very impressive shot for my skills, and really felt that I accomplished something good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dirk, I second your positive comments on the Remington Copper Solids. Was using 12-gauge 3" and I hit a doe a bit high and back, and barely nicked a lung. 60 yards through brush. Nevertheless, the deer was gushing blood like a faucet was turned on for its 20-yard dash before expiring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts