Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first shotgun to take up sporting clays and there seems to be a problem. I ordered a Fabarm H368. The bolt won't stay back when the chamber is empty. I played around with it all day yesterday and I think it has something to do with the carrier/trigger group. When you pull the bolt back you can feel and hear where the bolt is supposed to catch. At that point if you press the carrier rearward you will hear a click and the bolt will stay back. Problem is it won't do it by itself. When you do it manually and load a shell, drop the bolt, and load the tube, as it cyles it will throw out the old shell but not pull another out of the tube.

It seems this could be fixed with a minor adjustment I just can't figure it out.

·
Registered
20,543 Posts
Welcome to Shotgunworld. :D

No "fixing" is needed on your gun. It is working exactly as it was designed to work. The bolt will only stay back if the trigger has been pulled with an empty magazine or the carrier stop button has been pushed with an empty magazine.

With shells in the magazine, you can manually work the bolt all day and it won't release a shell from the magazine. This is to allow a person to change the shell in the chamber without shells coming out of the magazine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I might have mis-represented the problem. The bolt won't stay back at all unless I manipulate the carrier. With the gun completely empty and you pull the bolt back it will not catch. I have to push the carrier rearward and then it clicks and catches the bolt. I noticed the front pin of the trigger group sits in an oblong hole. As the carrier moves rearward to catch the bolt the pin moves rearwards also and then when the bolt moves forward the pin also moves forward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not fired it. It arrived yesterday. I put it together per the instructions and then noticed the bolt will not lock back when empty. I didn't feel comfortable firing a gun that I know is not 100% operational. The closest I came was putting a shell in the chamber and then ejecting it and it did not lock the bolt back.

·
1,205 Posts
This tells you nothing. Put a fired shell or a snap cap in the chamber and fire it (or for that matter, dry fire it) and then pull the bolt back. It should now stay there. The bolt will only lock back when empty after it has been fired

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
What Mike said,

I have no idea if we are refering to the same gun or not, I was helping a kid with a new Fabarm (something Lion???), it had what I assume is a bolt buffer attached to the back of the bolt, it stuck out behind the bolt a considerable distance.

I really didn't have time to mess with it (during competition) and he kept hounding me, I needed my mind on the shoot! He had just come to the club to find someone to tell him what was wrong------because the bolt would not stay back or cycle reliably. I handed him a SuperSport and told him to go down the range to the test area and shoot it, ended up going myself as he was apprehensive.

I didn't give it enough time to figure out, but is my opinion the buffer was too long and the timing was off, anything over a stout 3 dram load and it would lock back, I think the buffer was just too long (if indeed that is what it is). I told him to get a box of SuperSports and go shoot them, if it didn't wear in the buffer to where it would function as designed, to come back later and I never saw him again. So Idunno? Does yours have this white nylon piece?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mike orlen said:
This tells you nothing. Put a fired shell or a snap cap in the chamber and fire it (or for that matter, dry fire it) and then pull the bolt back. It should now stay there. The bolt will only lock back when empty after it has been fired
Mike that is my problem. After doing exactly what you described the bolt does not lock back. I can hear and feel where it should lock but it doesn't.

I am thinking it has something to do with the carrier. The carrier moves back and forth. It looks to me like after the gun is fired the carrier should move slightly rearward and the bolt release catches in a notch on the carrier holding the bolt open. For some reason the carrier is not moving on it's own or not moving far enough because I can move it rearward with my fingers and the bolt release will catch the bolt. Do any other makes of shotguns have a similiar setup?

My gun does have that nylon buffer but I don't think it is effecting anything. Mine is just a hair longer than the back of the firing pin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
JBH, There is nothing wrong with your H 368. Don't be afraid to take it out and shoot it. You will love the mild recoil and superb functioning!

I use an empty shell to push my carrier to the rear, this locks the bolt open. The empty shell will keep your fingers from getting sore.

The instructions don't mention this at all for some reason. I had to call the gunshop where I bought mine and the gunsmith explained it to me.

I think it's the best value on the market right now. I just purchased another one from CDNN Sports Inc.

Post up again and let us know how you like it. Robin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Robin. I actually stumbled upon moving the carrier backwards by tinkering. I have never seen another gun do this. I can stop sweating. Would have helped to mention that in the manual :roll:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took it out today for the first time and it worked perfectly. Just needed the gas from the spent round to function properly. Thanks everyone, my first step in shotgunning has been interesting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I want to say thank you also. A friend got one of these and was having the same issue. This thread save a lot of headache. He was going to send it back to HK.

I had to look at the diagram to see what part was the carrier. After it showd me, I was like Duh. Just for others out there that are like me, when they say to push the carrier back, they mean push it toward the trigger. The carrier is parallel with the barrel so just push it rearward toward the trigger. I kept pushing it in ao couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Per the subject, "My H&K Fabarms Lion H368 bolt will not lock back"
I bought one of these guns and had a heck of a time figuring how to lock the bolt back after I was done hunting. Pushing backward on the carrier shell guide activates a latch allowing the bolt to catch and lock. see diagram. Thanks Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.