Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's critical mass winter in Vermont, dark by 1730 hours, cold around the clock, and other than an occasional mid-week low light exercise at the range before supper, or a trip to the gun store and or range on weekends, there's ample time for SG building and reading.
Here's a brief review of two books i thought you guys (and if we have and lady readers, do we?) out there.
First, The Remington M870 & M1100/M11-87 Shotguns: A Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen.

http://www.gunbooks.com/rem.html

The link provides ALL the book offers and of about 10 gun related books i own, this is the one with the most dog-eared pages marking my favorite passages.
If you own a Rem SG and rarely even field strip the weapon, this will be a waste of $30 that you could spend on practice ammo.
However, if you build, alter, add parts to, modify, work on, wonder about, appreciate the inner workings of the 870, 1100 and 11-87, this book is a great reference not only in how to to troubleshoot but when you could make a repair or if it's time to send the SG to a gunsmith or back to the factory.
This is a manual designed for SG gunsmiths, not a beginners text, but what the heck, how are you going to learn more about a SG by reading text for beginners?
There are a number of tables, references, tons of diagrams and step by step troubleshooting lists for all the SG's mentioned.

Second, is Tactical Shotgun: The Best Techniques And Tactics For Employing The Shotgun In Personal Combat by Gabriel Suarez.
I wish Suarez was the SG instructor at the academy and his book was issued to the whole class.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 8986&itm=2

The reason i really like the book is Suarez... he writes like a cop, pulls no punches, has a comedic flair and is not afraid to say "terminate a bad guy when the time comes to do so."
Without being overly tacti-cool, he talks equally about the combat mindset and the weaponry involved and how one, without the other, is useless.
Worse, he shows the pitfalls of a person trying to defend themselves vs. a defender... the book has a hard edge.
Equipment, ammo choices, movement while firing, shotgun positions, addressing malfunctions, combat reloading, carry, target acquisition and more can be found in the book.
And I like the quotes that begin each chapter.
Again, if you own a shotgun (although his advice works for any appropriate weapon in the hands of someone prepared to defend themselves) and you shoot clay birds on Sundays, pass on this book, but then, why are you reading a post in the tac section?
It should be required reading for any LEO with access to a SG and for the homeowner serious about defending themselves and their loved ones, it's a valuable read.

This review reflects the opinion of the author and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone else, living or deceased, your milage may vary. 8)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.