Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a bore lubricant to reduce lead fouling from shooting slugs :?:

Friend has noticed a marked deteriation in accuracy after 20 rounds.

My bore was pretty bad also.

We both shoot PPC Long Gun and we will go through 60 slugs each for one round of shooting.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I handload the Dangerous Game slug, available from Ballistic Products, in the smooth bore.

It is important to use a barrel with little or no choke as this slug is full diameter with a wad that stays with it in flight - if it has not been jerked loose from a tight choke.

I have found that accuracy will be a little better and leading less of a problem if I lube these slugs. I use spray moly coat which dries quickly and is therefore not messy to handle.

I get groups that average 4" at a measured 100 yds. off the bench. These are 3 shot groups.

Now, most groups will be around or under 4", but about 1 in 5 will be 5" or 6". I have fired scores of groups with this load and 3 different smooth bore guns, so I have a good statistical average.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
60 slugs per day shooting?..that sounds expensive... The best coating seems to be chrome lined barrels. other than that I pickle them with lead and copper solvent between brushings... or leave it once you get it about 75 percent cleaned up.

btw, are the lead streaks near the muzzle or like mine just after the forcing cone due to shot (not slugs most of the time) convergence at that point?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
redhawk44 said:
I have found that accuracy will be a little better and leading less of a problem if I lube these slugs. I use spray moly coat which dries quickly and is therefore not messy to handle.
Do you spray slugs before loading or after they are in the shell?

What moly spray do you use?

I have read about moly build up in high power rifles, is it a problem in shotguns?

Dan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mike100 said:
60 slugs per day shooting?..that sounds expensive... The best coating seems to be chrome lined barrels.

btw, are the lead streaks near the muzzle or like mine just after the forcing cone due to shot (not slugs most of the time) convergence at that point?
60 slugs are expensive! Cheapest I have found is $1.79/5 .

I dont think I can afford to do the 150 round course.

We are doing this to get some kind of trigger time for our Home Defense shotguns. Unfortunately they only allow slugs to keep their targets from getting destroyed by bird or buck shot.

I am currently using my 870 Light Weight, 20 gauge and hopefully be using a Baikal MP153 soon.

Course:load 6, shoot 6, reload 6, shoot 6, etc...

.......Rounds..Seconds.....Position
1.......12.........12............7 yds........Standing

2.......18.........30?..........15 yds.......6-Standing Left Barricade
...................................................6-Standing Right Barricade
...................................................6-Kneeling

3.......24..........80?...........50 yds.....6-Sitting
...................................................6-Prone
...................................................6-Standing Left Barricaed
...................................................6-Standing Right Barricade

4........6............8?...........15 yds.....Standing

Not sure about the times allowed except for the first volley, I can only get 8 shots, first 6 no problem, 2 by throwing them in the ejection port and racking my 870.

Lead streaks are all the way through the barrel from forcing cone to muzzle.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
wheelgunner said:
redhawk44 said:
Do you spray slugs before loading or after they are in the shell?

What moly spray do you use?

I have read about moly build up in high power rifles, is it a problem in shotguns?

Dan
I do them 25 at a time by standing them up on their wads on a newspaper and apply the moly just as if I were painting them. Do it from all 4 sides to get an even cover.

The moly is moly coat from Ballistic products.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpica ... er=0823068

I see that it is Hoppes now....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.