Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cost of sabot slugs, I wonder if anyone has heard of anthing to bore sight my 870 23" rifled slug barrel with a variable Remington scope? I can see myself using several shells in the process and wondered in there are devices to help in that proccess? The sabot slugs I've on order (nothing available locally) will run about $3 each. I know there are devices for rifles and wonder if are are shotgun models.

Jim

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Bore sighters are not accurate. They will help you get on paper and save you the expense of a few rounds, but should not be relied upon as a replacement for zeroing in.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
yea ive got a 12ga laser bore sighter, it is brass and snugs itself into the chamber. works ok. like last poster get you on paper only. caballas has them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had an 870 pump with a cantilever scope. If your scope is mounted to the barrel like mine was, simple remove the barrel/scope from the gun and place it on something steady and aim it at a 25 yard bullseye. Just eye down the bore without moving the barrel then look through the scope and adjust the elevation/windage on the scope to get the scope and barrel lined up. Just like you would do with a bolt action rifle. It worked great for me.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Bore sighting means exactly what the term implies.
Looking down the bore, center your target in the bore, move sights to the target.
It was a pretty simple operation until bore sighting devices hit the market, then shooters somehow lost the idea of actually looking down the bore.
What? Can't do that with an 870?????
Sure you can.
There are very simple instruments at very low cost that will hold your shotgun barrel. They are cheaper than a bore sighter.
The rear of the barrel, just the barrel mind you, rests on a "V" and the front of the barrel, near the muzzle, rests in a simple padded squeeze vice.
This can not hurt your gun.
You simply clamp the barrel in, adjust the works with barrel so the target is dead center in the bore. Think of your bore as a big phatt peep sight.
Getting the idea?
Then when the solidly clamped barrel is centered on the target move your crosshairs to the bullseye.
That will get you at least on paper.
There is NO substitute for final sighting in by actual shooting with the ammo you intend to hunt with at the ranges you intend to shoot.
Almost any gun can be bore sighted, even semi auto rifles with the barrel fixed to the receiver.
Lever action Marlins are easy. Simply remove one screw, drop lever, take out bolt and look down the bore.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
if you have a good vise for your gun the 3 shot method to zero after boresighting works for me. watched the tar-hunt guy give zeroing tips on the lightfield dvd today

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you are on paper with one. You can correct and be on your point of aim with the second shot. Have done it on over a 1000 slug guns this fall. No real problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts