Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Texas Tom,What choke extended tubes would you recommend/ I dont have a lot of confidence in mobil chokes.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I really haven't seen any problems other than, some tubes not being what they are supposed to be. But, that is pretty common thruout all choke manufacturers, it happens.

Unless you get an exact measurement of your bore, and list your desires of an exact constriction per tube, and go to someone like Clearview Products in OKC that hand make each tube, there are going to be descrepancies-----or the chance of.

Choke manufacturers have to take with a grain of salt, what bore the gun actually is. Someone orders a set of Invector Plus or Optima tubes, and the guns are known to have had bores with as much variance as .008", they have to commit to the smallest possible to keep from having a mouth of the choke larger than the bore------that can be a huge problem if a wad hangs and peels the choke, then is fired again.

There are also specific built chokes for larger bores that have been sold out of sets for that gun, out there floating around which certainly won't have the desired effect of constriction of the smaller bores.

I haven't seen any significant problems with Mobile chokes, unless it is they shoot tighter than the Optimas do, which is part of the reason of developing a larger bored gun.

Kinda a hornets nest---I would just put enough choke in to do the job and be done with it. As far as ease to do, look above in the large area with alot of little boxes and click on Trulock, email them and tell them what you want. Everyone here I know of, has been well pleased with the results.

I have been shooting a fixed choke gun for 7 years now, and sure enjoy being without the hassle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, my bore is .626 or .627 according to a Stan Baker bore gauge. The barrel says 15.9mm which is .626. I do a lot of rabbit hunting hunting and shoot sporting clays occ. What choke(s) would you recommend/ I understand you have a fixed. I hate to waste money. I would rather save to help offset gasoline prices.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
A .000 or cylinder to 20 yards, out to 40 yards use a mod or LM, from there on I/M or Full, or any edge on targets don't be scared to tighten down. Same thing, a full face target (as long as it isn't a rabbit target) where you can see the whole target, can be easily broke with a skeet or IC at 40 yards as the fragile side and full area is towards you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts