Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about buying a new rifle. Nothing fancy, kind of a budget model. The Remington model 710 looks like a good bet. It comes in 4 caliber options, a synthetic stock and a Bushnell scope for just over $300. All the ads say that it comes with a factory mounted and BORESIGHTED scope. Well, what exactly does that mean?? Also, has anyone had any experience with a Model 710?? If so, how do you like it?? Thanks. -Matt Latham

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Not familiar with the particular model.

Bore sighting gets the scope printing on paper usually and you dial it in from there.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
im only familiar with the model 700 and the rifle i have now was laser boresighted when it was still my dads and it shoots bullseyes everytime at 100 yards

boresighting is when u remove the bolt from the reciever and look down the barrel from the breach and center the target and then lock the gun in place on a shooting rest and then take three shots and see where they hit and then fine tune the windage n elevation from there

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
The 710 is just about the most cheaply made and poorly engineered rifle to come down the pike in ages.

On top of that, the scope they come with is pure garbage and not worth $20.

What is your budget? Knowing that I can give you some good guidance.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I agree, not a great gun. I would save money till I could afford a Remington 700 or a winchester model 70 classic.

Bryan

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's just a cool-looking word that may grab somebody's attention in the store; "Wow! Boresighted. Must be akrit." Boresighted means they didn't put it on paper and you MIGHT be close to the target when you get to the range.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
What they did was to intall an optical boresighting tool in the muzzle and adjust the scope to the optical device. They did not shoot it, just adjusted the scope so that it will be on paper.

The 710 defines the term junk rifle.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
"Boresighting" means that you remove the bolt from the rifle, look through the "bore" and sight it on some fixed point (usually about 25 yards away). Then you adjust the sights or SCOPE to center exactly at this fixed point that you saw when looking through the bore. When the scope crosshairs are on the point that you see when looking through the bore, then you have "boresighted" the rifle.

This will usually put you pretty close to being sighted in with real ammo, but you have to actually fire the ammo you are going to be using to see exactly where it is going to hit in relation to where the scope is looking.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
deadapair said:
Maser said:
it shoots bullseyes everytime at 100 yards
What exactly does that mean?
well duh it means it hits the center of the target everytime at 100 yards :roll:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Maser said:
well duh it means it hits the center of the target everytime at 100 yards :roll:
Good grief! I need to get me one of those Remy 700's :shock: . If I had a rifle that hit the center of the target everytime at 100 yards, I wouldn't have to practice anymore! How much does one of these wonder-rifles cost again?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Ulysees, do you thing that Remington does it the way you described? Maybe you do. I certainly have. The process of bore sighting is and can be done with a device. Both processes leave you with the same results.

Have you ever seen a bore sighter? That is the name of the tool you see below. It is used as I described.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
snakebit said:
Exactly what makes the 710 junk? Can you be more specific for Matt and myself.
1) Flimsy, flexible stock.

2) Barrel pressed into receiver.

3) Nylon bolt raceways

4) Cheap, non-lapped hammer forged barrel

5) Scope with the clarity of a coke bottle bottom

6) Flimsy, aluminum scope rings

7) Rough bolt operation

8) Ugly looks

The only three moderately priced, off the shelf rifles I would consider are the Ruger Model 77 Mk II, CZ 550, and Winchester Model 70. Of those, the CZ ranks 1st, the Ruger 2nd, and the Win 3rd in terms of fit and finish. On top of that the Ruger and CZ can be easily found for less than $500 at retail without trying hard.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
Customstox said:
Ulysees,

Have you ever seen a bore sighter? That is the name of the tool you see below. It is used as I described.
Sure, I've seen one of those devices, but the majority of shooters don't have one. Further, there is no need for them to invest in one if all they want to do is bore sight their bolt action rifles prior to the actual sighting in process. I simply described what the actual term "bore sighting" really means and how to do it. No equipment or fancy gadgets are required.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Ulysees,
Of course, if you read the thread you would know that that description of boresighting had already been posted and your comment was redundant. Somewhat like posting a similar thread on several places.

My point was that Remington would do it with optical devices and not by removing the bolt. You either were taking exception to that or missed the first one. Neverless, I will leave you that last word if you choose.

·
Banned
473 Posts
The best of the cheap bare bones rifles (today) are the push feed Model 70 and the Savage 110. No such thing as a good cheap scope. You start with Leupold and go up from there. If anyone says otherwise, he simply doesn't have the knowledge to render an accurate opinion.

Poster... before the advent of bore scopes and laser doodads, the method described by sighting down the bore was commonplace (and still works well). Today, boresighting is just a method of mounting and roughly adjusting the scope, usually at 50 yards. Fine tuning for most deer rifles, should consist of adjusting the scope so your 3-5 shot groups hit about 1.5" high at 100 yards.

I agree that general claims of hitting the bullseye means nothing, unless that bullseye is an inch in diameter and is 100 yards away. The truth is, not many shooters today know any more about rifles than most of those posting here really know about shotguns. That's not meant to be a slam, but it is sadly true. Worse than the lack of knowledge is the bickering between those who do know just enough to make them experts in their own minds. It fails to serve any purpose further than confusing the issue. I've been lurking for awhile, but question the seriousness of this forum or the goals of the posters. I probably already said too much!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts