Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Boss Ammo? It appears to be a Bismuth pellet. I'm curious as to the actual field and or pattern performance. Thank you gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Randy, I had a hunch you would know something about it. I had a friend of mine use the Bismuth during Duck Season last year, he said it performed well. 200 rounds of #3 on order.

·
Registered
359 Posts
TR/SC3 said:
Has anyone used Boss Ammo? It appears to be a Bismuth pellet. I'm curious as to the actual field and or pattern performance. Thank you gentlemen.
I used it last season for a couple of hunts, and was impressed with it out of IM and Full chokes.

Make sure you use more choke than you do with steel because Bismuth is soft and patterns like lead.

Also don't expect magical range increase, it is more dense than steel, but it doesn't drastically add to your range... You will get 5 more yards than steel 2s? But the difference between 44 and 50 yards isn't noticeable in the field.

What I did notice, is that they are balled up dead with Bismuth, where the same shot with steel may require a follow up to finish them off.

I am looking forward to shooting more of it this season!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,944 Posts
bigeejakes said:
Also don't expect magical range increase, it is more dense than steel, but it doesn't drastically add to your range... You will get 5 more yards than steel 2s? But the difference between 44 and 50 yards isn't noticeable in the field.

What I did notice, is that they are balled up dead with Bismuth, where the same shot with steel may require a follow up to finish them off.
It may not be magic, but using half the number of shots (dead vs. cripple) is significant as far as I'm concerned. Decoying ducks is more like 35 yard territory.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Maine Guide who runs a kennel my lab goes to for daycare and training sessions swears by Boss Ammo. As noted above, his says it kills them dead, with fewer cripples. He likes #5 for ducks.

Another point not mentioned -- is he says there is less damage to the duck meat! I told him I had a box of BlindSide and he told me to give it away to someone who doesn't hit what they shoot at; he said those funky pellets really tear up and damage the edible duck meat.

Old No7

·
Registered
27,944 Posts
Old No7 said:
The Maine Guide who runs a kennel my lab goes to for daycare and training sessions swears by Boss Ammo. As noted above, his says it kills them dead, with fewer cripples.
I always wondered how you could kill them not dead? :roll: That's a perpetual puzzler.

Boss bismuth is the best quality bismuth ammo on the market. It is still bismuth, though, meaning it blows apart and makes a mess if it touches bone.

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
I just noticed that Boss is loading 7/8oz #5 in the 28ga. Used to be their 28ga load was #6 copper plated bismuth. Says 172 pellets per a charge on their website which should work out to 2.2 grains per a pellet average if the charge is actually 7/8 ounce.

I think I'm going to get some to try.

Randy Wakeman, what do you think of the boss duplex 3/5 bismuth shells?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I received the shells today. They sure looks fancy, with really high brasses on them. It was a little surprising though to get a bag full of loose shells instead of 10 boxes. It is no big deal, just caught me off guard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought the copper plating they was supposed to help with that issue? I've shot Kent 2 3/4 #4 and Kent 3 inch #3. Both were great. Only issue I had was it seemed like I'd get 1 dead shell per box with the #3s. A few years back Kent was making #5's, I tried a box of those and I didn't like those. I think those were still too brittle.
I'm going to try the Boss #5 this year. I'm seeing too many social media posts of folks dropping birds with it to not give it a go.

RandyWakeman said:
Old No7 said:
The Maine Guide who runs a kennel my lab goes to for daycare and training sessions swears by Boss Ammo. As noted above, his says it kills them dead, with fewer cripples.
I always wondered how you could kill them not dead? :roll: That's a perpetual puzzler.

Boss bismuth is the best quality bismuth ammo on the market. It is still bismuth, though, meaning it blows apart and makes a mess if it touches bone.

·
Registered
27,944 Posts
Cjncall said:
I thought the copper plating they was supposed to help with that issue?
On the basis of what? :shock: They are "loaded with crushing devastation" so you can't get better than that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RandyWakeman said:
Cjncall said:
I thought the copper plating they was supposed to help with that issue?
On the basis of what? :shock: They are "loaded with crushing devastation" so you can't get better than that.
This is from the Boss website, "By surrounding our bismuth with a thin layer of copper, there's significantly less pellet fragmentation vs. unplated bismuth. Copper plating also lessens pellet drag when entering the meat. This gives you 15% better shot penetration for quicker, cleaner, more ethical kills."

I also listened to a few podcast that had some of the Boss folks on as guests. They also are saying that they do all their testing in frigid conditions so the powder doesnt lose it's punch. So the claimed 1350FPS if you're above freezing it's more like 1400FPS.
I popped a few rounds at some clays and I'll say the Boss 2 3/4 1 1/4 OZ has more kick than the Kent 2 3/4 1 1/4OZ through my SX3.

It could be all marketing BS, but the increase in potential pellet count is worth giving it a shot I believe. And I used my credit card rewards to buy it so if it's garbage I'm not out any cash! lol

·
Registered
27,944 Posts
Cjncall said:
They also are saying that they do all their testing in frigid conditions so the powder doesnt lose it's punch. So the claimed 1350FPS if you're above freezing it's more like 1400FPS.
I popped a few rounds at some clays and I'll say the Boss 2 3/4 1 1/4 OZ has more kick than the Kent 2 3/4 1 1/4OZ through my SX3.

It could be all marketing BS, but the increase in potential pellet count is worth giving it a shot I believe. And I used my credit card rewards to buy it so if it's garbage I'm not out any cash! lol
It is complete nonsense. What increase in pellet count? The powder doesn't lose its punch? That is a flunk in Ballistics 101 that recognizes that propellants are chemical reactions that tend to slow in concert with a drop in temperature.

Ammunition tested subsequent to manufacture using equipment and procedures conforming to these guidelines can be expected to produce velocities within a tolerance of ±90 fps of the tabulated values. That's SAAMI. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -04-23.pdf

Stick with the "loaded with crushing devastation" part. It is more entertaining.

·
Registered
25 Posts
RandyWakeman said:
Cjncall said:
They also are saying that they do all their testing in frigid conditions so the powder doesnt lose it's punch. So the claimed 1350FPS if you're above freezing it's more like 1400FPS.

It is complete nonsense. What increase in pellet count? The powder doesn't lose its punch? That is a flunk in Ballistics 101 that recognizes that propellants are chemical reactions that tend to slow in concert with a drop in temperature.

Ammunition tested subsequent to manufacture using equipment and procedures conforming to these guidelines can be expected to produce velocities within a tolerance of ±90 fps of the tabulated values. That's SAAMI. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -04-23.pdf

Stick with the "loaded with crushing devastation" part. It is more entertaining.
Sorry I wasn't clear. Increase in pellet count for me going from #3 and #4 to #5.
Right, they are saying they are using enough powder to get a legit 1350FPS in freezing temps.
Boss and Kent are both claiming 1350FPS on their 2 3/4 1 1/4oz loads and I can tell you that Boss round kicks some whereas I find the Kent round to be a creampuff with recoil.
I don't care that much. If it turns out it shatters the second it touches a grey duck, oh well. I'll save it for teal season next year and go back to #4 Kent. And if it can't take down a teal, then god help us all, the teal have evolved to have pellet proof feathers.
And if I have trouble falling asleep I'll be sure to take a look at that document you posted.

·
Registered
27,944 Posts
TR/SC3 said:
Thanks Randy, I had a hunch you would know something about it. I had a friend of mine use the Bismuth during Duck Season last year, he said it performed well. 200 rounds of #3 on order.
#3 bismuth is roughly equivalent to #5 lead, ballistically. #2 steel shot fails tragically compared to either.

Kent Bismuth is inconsistent and miserable-- the shot often embeds permanently in the wad and never begins to form a pattern.

1 ounce Apex TSS #8 is far better than any 1-1/4 oz. lead #5 or bismuth #3 load.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Come on Randy , keep it comparative not a Apple to Oranges game !
Shot density rules all if pattern density is adequate for the distance shot !
Pellets that develop the energy needed to penetrate the animals vidals is what's needed , hitting
bone and being to small / soft to break it , is another story . There's no magic about shooting
Bismuth , it performs well by choosing the right shot size , for the birds size , kinda like shooting
Steel shot !

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
What distance will a #5 bismuth pellet travel into ballistic gel at forty yards?

Thanks.

I think I heard that #2 steel and #4 bismuth have about the same penetration at forty or so yards.

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
How you got fractions of pellets?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts