Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Beretta Silver Pigeon II 20g O&U. Will it work well at the trap club and in the field? What are some recommendations for successful use in each application? Thanks for all replys

·
Registered
285 Posts
As said, trap is a 12ga game. It would be like shooting with one hand tied behind your back.

I understand that it is currently PC to have the kids play soccer and baseball without keeping score! If you want to shoot trap with a 20ga and not keep score--to each his own.

However, easily half the fun in any clays shooting is keeping score.

Solution: try Skeet! Skeet is a 12, 20, 28 and even .410 game. And they keep score regardless of the ga.

Try it, it may fit your needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right! :shock: Used the 20g this weekend to shoot trap and skeet. Did ok in skeet but really stunk at trap! :cry: Now I will enjoy shopping for a good 12g O&U. Any recommendations for a good trap O&U 12g?

Thanks for the help! R. Edward :wink:

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
R. Edward;

How much you want to spend on an O/U for trap?? The skys the limit there!! Browning, Beretta, Perazzi, Krieghoff? We have just started at about a thousand dollars used to over $30,000 new, and these are just the more common ones! If indeed you are going to be serious about trap, get a deticated trap gun, they are somewhat different than any other shotgun. You might just want to get your feet wet first and get a Browning BT-99 used for somewhere between $600 and double that and give that a try. You can always sell it and get your money back and step up in the world or maybe fall in love with your BT-99. Lots of folks have! You really don't need an O/U for trap unless you intend to shoot doubles. Most folks don't and many of them don't use the same gun for doubles anyway. Some get a combo set with both a single barrel and double barrel for the same rerciever. If this is all new to you I'd suggest you start with a BT-99 and go from there. I didn't, but wish I had. I've got an O/U I could live without and have aquired a Beretta S682x Unsingle that I use for trap now. I probably should swap my current O/U for something else I want, a Skeet combo!

BP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the B.P.,
I want to spend around $2000. I really like my Beretta Silver Pigeon II 20g O&U with a 28" barrel (field grade). I am leaning toward the same gun in 12g and going with the sporting clays model. What is the functional difference between the field and sporting models and would the sport model perform in the field? Thanks for your advice,
R. Edward

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Well, R. Edward, that is a good question! Different manufacturers have different differences between a Sporting and field guns. Some have differences in thier different Sporting guns. Typicaly Sporting guns have a bit straighter stock with a little higher comb and usually shoot a bit higher pattern, say 80/20 to 70/30. Most field guns will be more like 50/50. I forget the exact deminsion difference right now, but I believe the Beretta site has very detailed specifications in stock dimensions for all thier different varities. If you go to the Beretta site you will find what I am talking about. Yes, you can use a Sporting gun in the field and a Field gun for sporting Clays, but you may have to develop some slightly different shooting habits to accomidate the potential difference in pattern location from what you are used to, and maybe not! Trap guns are a whole 'nuther tin of tuna altogether! They aren't usually terribly usefull in the field. MY sporting Clays gun has a Hi-rib and has a 70/30 pattern, more like a Trap gun. I have difficulty even with Sporting Clays shoots remembering that I have to be somewhat under the rock to break them. Really plays havock on the droping/falling target stations. Just can't force myselt to be that far under the target even though I KNOW I have to be! Turns a 40 something round into a 30 something in a hurry! I'm thinking seriously about parting with it now that I have a REAL trap gun and am not trying to do double/triple duty with just one shotgun. In my short humble carear of shooting clay targets I've noticed a definate difference in the more desireable gun configurations for each different game. Trap being the most unlike a field gun. However, there always seem to be exceptions to any rule. Now and again someone comes along and runs a long streak at trap with an old beatup 870 or model 12 field gun, no rib to boot! What ever you get used to, but the smart money goes the other way. That pays more often than not!

BP

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just bought the Silver Pigeon II Sporting 12 ga. with 30" barrels last weekend. I haven't tried it on trap, but hit 21/25 on the skeet range. It is heavier than the non sporting version, but still lighter than the 525 I compared it to. I really like the way it fits my hands better than the 525 -- it seems thinner.

I too hope it performs well in the field.

Hank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.