Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight it's Woodford Double Oaked. I'm treating myself. Got home and knocked out a couple good strokes on a closet project my wife is eager for, so I'm off to a good start, and the glue is drying so I need to leave it anyway.

·
Registered
22,094 Posts
Sounds like as good of an excuse as any to me :D :D :!: :!:

cdb

·
Registered
25,065 Posts
You need an excuse?!?!?!?!? :eek:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Kannoncocker said:
Tonight it's Woodford Double Oaked. I'm treating myself. Got home and knocked out a couple good strokes on a closet project my wife is eager for, so I'm off to a good start, and the glue is drying so I need to leave it anyway.
It's on my list to try, but I'm seriously trying to resist my impulse to go on a journey with bourbon like I did with tequila - trying about 50 different premium brands. That got expensive, and more than half were no better than the $18 brand I settled on.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
jer901 said:
That got expensive, and more than half were no better than the $18 brand I settled on.
don't leave us hanging, what did you settle on?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
xsshooter said:
jer901 said:
That got expensive, and more than half were no better than the $18 brand I settled on.
don't leave us hanging, what did you settle on?
For sipping - Dos Lunas Silver - about $35
For mixing - Margaritas, Tequila Sunrise, etc - El Ultimo Agave Reposado @ $18 and it's not bad for sipping either

·
Registered
760 Posts
Bourbons are the expensive in thing right now. If you can get blantons, pappy and a few low batch ones like whistle pig you can charge an insane amount just for an ounce or sell the bottle for $100's to $1000's

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
67galaxie said:
Bourbons are the expensive in thing right now. If you can get blantons, pappy and a few low batch ones like whistle pig you can charge an insane amount just for an ounce or sell the bottle for $100's to $1000's
I have a bottle of Pappy sitting on the shelf...I could have sold it for 5 times what I paid for it. But, I don't flip em, I drink em. The Pappy is (IMHO) highly over-rated. A good barrel strength Elijah Craig puts it to shame. Taylor, Russel Reserve are all more affordable and equally drinkable. There's been a kind of bourbon insanity for th last few years that has spiked prices and dried up supplies....kind of like what once happened with SM Scotch.
I'll take a jug handle of Wild Turkey over Pappy any day of the week. While the Pappy owner is savoring three drops in his/her Glencairn I'll polish off a few glasses of the higher octane bird...
Cheers!

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
67galaxie said:
I agree but Jack Daniels is my choice overall
Too weak in the knees for my taste...80 octane is just not enough for a bourbon (or Tennessee Whiskey) to grad your attention on the way down. The JD Single Barrel is a higher octane and a better whiskey but the price is a bit high for what it is....I'd say the Makers Single is a much nicer whiskey from a "big" name distillery. Try both if you haven't... that said, JD is an acquired taste so the higher octane may be just the ticket for you.
Either way, cheers.

·
Registered
760 Posts
emgerrish said:
67galaxie said:
Too weak in the knees for my taste...80 octane is just not enough for a bourbon (or Tennessee Whiskey) to grad your attention on the way down. The JD Single Barrel is a higher octane and a better whiskey but the price is a bit high for what it is....I'd say the Makers Single is a much nicer whiskey from a "big" name distillery. Try both if you haven't... that said, JD is an acquired taste so the higher octane may be just the ticket for you.
Either way, cheers.
I have some 90 proof from the 50's. Great stuff! I agree with the pappy but I'm gonna sell all of mine. Can't believe what the reserves are bringing now

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HiFli said:
I like Blantons.
Blanton is good, no doubt. I found some on sale in a Freys Grocery in Lake Tahoe, $62 a bottle, and stocked up. That cache is now down to one bottle, and I'm not distressed over it. Blanton's, even at that price, is not better than Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek Single, and does not rise to the level of the Woodford Double.

But lately I've mostly been messing around with Ed's Red, anyway.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Kannoncocker said:
HiFli said:
I like Blantons.
Blanton is good, no doubt. I found some on sale in a Freys Grocery in Lake Tahoe, $62 a bottle, and stocked up. That cache is now down to one bottle, and I'm not distressed over it. Blanton's, even at that price, is not better than Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek Single, and does not rise to the level of the Woodford Double.

But lately I've mostly been messing around with Ed's Red, anyway.
If you "stocked up" at $62 you're a better man than I Charley Brown. Or slightly less frugal anyway. I've pretty much settled on Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams Single Barrel - both less than $25. I enjoy others of course - like Curtis' Woodford Reserve :lol:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dammit, John, you're right. Proves its dangerous to believe what you think, and I thought Blantons was extremely expensive whiskey.

Ah, well. I've bought some Brownings, too.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
67galaxie said:
Jack Daniels is not Bourbon, it's Tennessee sour mash whiskey. You won't see the word "Bourbon" anywhere on a bottle of JD. They can't legally call it Bourbon because of the way it's made.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Makers Mark at the hunting camp at the end of the day, watching the sun go down over the pines and listen to the whippoorwills start up. There MIGHT be something better than that, but this boy hasn`t found it. :)

Reactions: Gator89

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Kannoncocker said:
Dammit, John, you're right. Proves its dangerous to believe what you think, and I thought Blantons was extremely expensive whiskey.

Ah, well. I've bought some Brownings, too.
I learned my lesson, admittedly late in life, on my tequila quest. It was fun but damn it was an expensive journey, only to find the final destination only cost $18.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts