Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the absolute cheapest place to buy Boyt? I'm spoiled against paying retail as I bought two slight blemishes at the Grand decades ago for less than half price. One went to a friend and the other finally wore out after lots of abuse. I'd like a couple more. Any suggestions on where to find the best price?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you are looking for the heavy green canvas type Boyt cases, some of Cabela's heavy canvas duck cases are made for them by Boyt and they cost considerably less.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I have the Cabelas and the Boyt cases. The quality of the Cabelas is made to a price and is not as well made as that with Boyts name on it. Then that's just my personal observation.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
I have both Boyt's and Bass Pro's "Red Head" cases. IMHO, the Red Head is the relative bargain -- about 2/3rds the cost of the equivalent Boyt's, exterior canvas is the same heavy grade and available in green or brown; the interior flannel may be a bit heavier in the Boyt and the Boyt leather trim may be a tad bit better quality, but then the Red Head has a big Delrin non-marring zipper where the Boyt's are still using the big metal zips. I now buy the Red Heads...

To answer the question though, the only place I've seen any deals on Boyt's recently was Midway -- they were running a special on a few models for like 15% off.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can't figure out why some of these companies that make/produce the soft cases continue to put heavy metal zippers or other sharp/hard metal objects on their cases.

The soft cases can be loaded with nice accoutrements - yet in the end they leave out a simple detail like the metal zippers which can offer the chance of scratching your stock each and every time you use the case.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the helpful replies. Classic Upland Supply which Kraiza reccomended was the cheapest I found. I too am going to go with the Boyt slip. I like that the handles are separate from the sling and I like a web sling rather than leather. This will be a first slip type for me rather than a zipper. We'll see how it goes. I like the concept.

I have an SKB Dry-TEK patterned after the Boyts which is supposed to wick away moisture better. It is ok and lots of guys have them but I went back to Boyt this time as the padding seemed thicker and outer fabric tougher than the SKB...more protection from bumps. The wicking feature had me tempted but I opted for the Boyt.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Just my 2 cents but the SKB drytek are excellent cases with non metallic zippers that won't scratch your gun. I have been using one for years and it is still like new.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

ordered a custom slip from Dryflyfishing. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=250059&p=2113813&hilit=custom+slip#p2113813

I always used a slip when I was hunting 35 years ago. Got all caught up in the clay sports, tubesets, Graco cases. I'm looking forward to a simple slip in leather and lambs fleece.

I'm hoping it will be ready in a month or so.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
This is my gun slip from Bob. Dryflyfishing.
shogan191 When your case gets done. I'm going to have Bob make a Bison case for my wife gun. Can't wait to see the photo's.
John

·
Registered
103 Posts
optics planet.com - $87.50.
But Cabela's has the same for $49, and it has a plastic zipper - which will not mar. Also, last Boyt case I saw at club last week said "made in China", just like Cabela's and everybody else's.

·
Banned
552 Posts
Does anyone make a 52" plastic zipper double case like this Boyt?
http://www.opticsplanet.net/boyt-harnes ... 1dg09.html
You are effectively getting 2 cases in one.

I've never had the metal zipper scratch a gun in this case because the pockets prevent it.
However, these metal zippers stick sometimes and I'm thinking the plastic would not.

There are quality plastic zippers and there are cheap *** plastic zippers that quickly break.
I assume we are talking about the former otherwise the case would become useless.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What I would like to see is Cabela make a 54" case (copy of the Boyt Signature case) so I could fit my trap gun with extended choke. For 1/2 the price of a Boyt, Cabela's is the deal...if I could only get them to add another 2".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.