Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out my hammergun (damascus) and patterned a few shells ! they were gamebore 12g,2 1/2 dram,1 oz #6.They have a felt wad and overshot card.THEY PATTERN FRICKIN' HORRIBLE!! They covered my 36'' x 36'' pattern sheet at 25 yds!
Holes large enough for a herd of elephants to get thru !! Full/mod barrel no difference.fired 8 shots no consistency at all !!
Sooo :D ..if I reload my own..whats the recommendations.plastic wad and avoid the overshot card?what would be a good dram for 1 oz and hopw do I measure it.?
(I know thats alot to ask,but hey :lol: )
Ed

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hi,

I don't shoot a BP breachloader, but I do shoot a muzzleloader. Mine likes a bit more powder with 1oz. I generally use 3 to 3 1/4 dram of powder with 1oz of shot. If I go much lighter than 3drams, then I get holes in my patterns. But every gun IS different, so YMMV!!!

A shotcup will tend to tighten and make your patterns more consistant. So I do use them. But, I still use a good tight fitting over-powder card of about 1/8" thick. Then, I cut the skirt off the shotcup, (don't really need it to seal, and it seems to cause poor patterning for me to).

And you may have been expiriencing a less then good gas seal with just the over-powder card and cushion-wads. That too will raise Cain with your patterns.You may need to get a larger size card, say one for a 10 or 11ga. You might also want to have the bore measured so you know what size it is.

The old timers would measure their powder and shot 1:1. So, measure out the proper shot amount and then use the same dipper to measure the same volume powder. It has always worked well for me.

dalee

·
Registered
127 Posts
pheasntguy,

I have had good luck with AA or Premier Nitro hulls and the Winchester "Red" wad. I use 75gr (by volume w/a black powder measure) of 2F with 1 1/8 of reclaim shot. I use a Stoeger Uplander SxS, 26"bbls.

It is mainly my Cowboy match load but I have used it successfully at Cowboy trap/skeet and clays and also limited quail and dove hunting. I use cyl. chokes for cowboy and skeet, and mod. for everything else.

I have even had good luck with with this load for Cowboy trap using a 1897 Win. pump gun with a 30" full barrel.

It patterns good for me, your mileage my vary. Hope this helps.

Safe trails,
CKid

·
Registered
51 Posts
howdy,

I use winchester red wads 70grains of goex cowboy and 1ounce of #7 in winchester double aa hules with winchester 209 primer. pattern is good and i've busted a lot of clays with it.

take it easy
cricket dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi, i usually just buy whatever i can find cheap loacally, i think the last bag i bought happend to be remington. I've used 7 1/2 and 8 too with the same results. 9 works but not as well and it didn't make a clean kill on a possom that was on my porch. but it works fine on clays. I have used 6s but only with smokeless I bet it would work fine too.

take it easy
cricket dave

·
Registered
941 Posts
The last time I used WAA 12R wads with black powder during a Deep South dove shoot the bores became choked with melted plastic residue after the first 25 shells. I only noticed this because the 1913 vintage double became hard to open.

I have since limited my black powder shotshell work to card wads and once fired Federal paper shells. The patterns are excellent from the full and full choked tubes.

RMc

·
Registered
941 Posts
pheasntguy said:
by CARD WADS...did you mean felt wads included,or only overpowder wads,no felt wads? Ed
Card over powder wads only. My standard is to use 3.5 drams of 3F black powder (The same volume as a 1 1/4 ounce shot dipper) with as many card overpowder wads as needed to bring 1 1/8 ounce of shot to the proper crimp height. I also load with a drop tube to properly compact the powder for a cleaner burn. You may fold or roll crimp (w/overshot wad) as you wish or your loader allows.

If you want to protect the shot from bore scrub, use index cards cut into strips of proper size with a paper cutter. The insert the rolled paper cylinder into the case on top of the O/P wads, let it open, then add shot and then crimp. You may have to use one less card wad to adjust for the space taken by the shot protector. No plastic is present to melt. Black powder burns hotter than any smokeless powder.

RMc

·
Registered
107 Posts
If anyone needs wads or cards for black poeder shot shells or muzzleloaders, I have a large stock of them from a store that went out of business. They are Alcan, in their original boxes. 500 wads or 1000 cards to a box. There are also many boxes marked especially for loading brass shells, which means they are oversized. $4.00 per box plus shipping.
I have 20, 16, 12, 11, 10 ga.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.