Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would go with the one that fits you best...in my opinion they are both great guns...

Benelli: Modern, plastic and alloy up to 3 1/2" easy to clean and operate, great sights...nice price and well, a Benelli!

Browning: Warm wood, blue steel, bottom eject and load (nice for lefties or if you are near others when ejecting loads), up to 3 1/2", currently a $75.00 rebate...and well, a Browning!

Bill

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I used to shoot a BPS and was a little dissapointed by a few things. It was damned heavy and afer a long walk you knew it. They also are not made in the US, but my Miroku of Japan (not that bad, I was just a little dissapointed.) Besides that (and a little jamming problem most likely ammo related) I liked it. The Nova is a gun I would never own. Sure, it is a wonderful piece of Italian design, but it is so friggin ugly. I ended up with the 870 Express Super Mag. No frills, real wood, way lighter (but not too light for 3.5s), less expensive, and a compact receiver. Most importantly for a 3.5 gun it comes with a decent recoil pad, not just a slab of rubber. In fact, that pad is why I bought the Super Mag over the 3" Express. I rarely use 3.5 shells, but a good recoil pad is worth every penny. The 3" and 3.5" guns are identical in all measurements so why not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mr pumper as far as the recoil pad on the remington express i bought 3 remingtons when they first came out for me and my buddys.all three reciol pads have sunk in and now look like horse shoes.i sent mine back to remington due to jamming with 2 3/4" and 3.5s and they fixed my recoil pad.not long after it sunk in again.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for that, but no sign of it yet after a year of shooting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Pumper on the Benelli but I have to disagree with his findings on BPS vs. 870 Express. The BPS Stalker is a synthetic stocked version of the BPS that most people will want to compare with the 870 Express. These guns are not comparable as far as workmanship is concerned. The BPS is a more "finished" gun, as far as the metal finishing is concerned and it operates much more smoothly as a result. The Remington Express metal finish is actually the result of eliminating the final stage of metal finishing after the machining of the barrel and receiver. Instead of polishing the receiver, it is bead blasted and then blued. The blasting covers most tool marks but what it doesn't do is take interior surfaces in the action down to correct dimension tolerances which were established taking into account the final polishing of the metal. The BPS matte finish is in addition to the final metal finishing and therefore a better quality receiver and gun are the result. Buy the BPS. Of the three guns mentioned it is the best gun and the best value.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The BPS was prettier but mine did not work. The finish of the internal parts did not help mine out, because the problem was with the chamber. I can't recommend a gun that did not work like the other I have replaced it with.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have a bps and i love it. True it is a little heavier than some others but if you cant handle carrying through the woods then lift weights (just kidding) or buy a sling to help yourself out with it

·
Registered
109 Posts
:lol: A sling,heck no train your dog with a pack saddle and let him/her become a beast of burden.Then when hunting install wheels under the toe of the stock and drag that heavy piece.Trouble is you'd have to pull it by the barrel.Let's just forget the whole thing and buy our ducks at the meat market.
TWAS the night before Xmas and things just went awray.Have a happy Holiday.modoc :lol:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
What is this "dog" of which you speak?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pumper,
My BPS has never jambed. I've never heard anyone else complain of theirs jambing. I have heard more than several complaints about 870 Express jambing problems. I owned one, my duck hunting partner owned one, they both jambed. The carrier would get stuck in the up position seemingly. The first repeating shotgun I ever owned was a Wingmaster and I still have one today. Neither of these jambed like the 870 Express I used to have. I bought it probably for the same reason most waterfowlers do - they are cheap and a little saltwater rust is no loss on a $200 gun. However, I changed my opinion when I found that they were much less reliable than a Wingmaster.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My BPS jammed and my Express never has. That does not mean I think the BPS is inferior. I had one that did not work, and intead of dealing with it I bought a different gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pumper,
I can appreciate your opinion about your Express but I responded to the contrary because you were advising someone needing for advice, that an Express was a better made and better funtioning shotgun than a BPS (read your first response again). I didn't want the young man to be misled based on the fact that you seem to like your Express. More people would disagree than agree with you and I know from my own experience having owned both that the BPS is far better in both respects.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
pumper said:
I used to shoot a BPS and was a little dissapointed by a few things. It was damned heavy and afer a long walk you knew it. They also are not made in the US, but my Miroku of Japan (not that bad, I was just a little dissapointed.) Besides that (and a little jamming problem most likely ammo related) I liked it. The Nova is a gun I would never own. Sure, it is a wonderful piece of Italian design, but it is so friggin ugly. I ended up with the 870 Express Super Mag. No frills, real wood, way lighter (but not too light for 3.5s), less expensive, and a compact receiver. Most importantly for a 3.5 gun it comes with a decent recoil pad, not just a slab of rubber. In fact, that pad is why I bought the Super Mag over the 3" Express. I rarely use 3.5 shells, but a good recoil pad is worth every penny. The 3" and 3.5" guns are identical in all measurements so why not.
It says that? I thought it said I had one that jammed and didn't like it as much as I thought I would, so I got rid of it? Build quality and design were not mentioned. They are both good guns, but in the end I prefer the 870, whether express or wingmaster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.