Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided that a break action will be safest for my son to start with . . .i have youth 20 pumps and even a topper . . .my son tried my 20 sxs uggie and other o/us . . .he is only 9 and the problem is all break actions we have tried don't open enough for the shells to clear the breach face (correct term?) which causes him to struggle with getting the shells out and in .. .i think the ruger red labels open well enough but are there any other inexpensive break actions that open without this strugggle for a youth? . . .adults usuallly don't have this problem as we have learned to hold the stock under the armpit while holding the barrels down to extract shell . . .any advice appeciated

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That is a common problem of cheap O/Us, but much less so for cheap SxSs. I hear good things about the Stoeger around here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
While I agree a break action is very safe.

Try having him use the pump and only give him one shell at a time, if you want you can give him two. Teach him to open the action when around the truck or when not steping up for his turn a trap.

I started with a auto and had to have the action open, and with one shell.

Safty first it suprises me how often adults and kids just don't get it.

sounds like you are doing it the right way.

Also you can find some really cheap used 20 ga single shots out there.

These often have the hammer which makes them very safe.

like $75

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Good question by Clayshooter! I too like the used single-shot route. I'm not a fan of any of the currently-produced singles (H&R, Rossi), but I'm overly cranky about such things--maybe you'd like 'em and they'd suit your purpose: if so I'd applaud your decision. I just picked up an old Iver Johnson break action single-shot in 16 ga--just a beautiful and friendly old gun, with it's 30" barrel,full choke (not that that is optimal for you) and beautiful plain oil-finished wood. Cost me $58 plus $20 shipping on AuctionArms.

Jeff23

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we are going to shoot mainly ducks . . .i don't much like the hammer idea on the single shots . . .if the boy does not shoot after cocking the hammer . . now what . . .gotta let the hammer down easy . . . :shock: i could just as well only allow him 1 shell with a double gun and it's easy to see that the gun is in a safe condition when the action is broke open

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Check out http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/condor.tpl

They should be fairly easy to break open and when he gets more serious or or get's more $ :D , you can get a nice used browning or berreta. I have found that berreta's break open very easely.

After a while he will probably open it better, also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does that apply to both SxS and o/u Berettas?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, Blackducker, yours is the final decision, and if you have the money for a double well and good. Also, he could grow into a second shot! But a single with hammer might be an excellent lesson in gun safety and responsibility for the lad. It'll be fine as long as he keeps it pointed downrange or in a safe direction, which he's supposed to be doing anyway.

Just a thought here --please don't take it as an attempt to meddle. Obviously you are the one who has to live with the decision :lol:

Jeff23

G

·
Thanks folks . . . .all good food for thought . . if anybody out there handles a break action that you think would fit the bill . . .come on back and post up . . . .i see stoeger has one without the hammer . . .wonder how it opens i.e. extractors/shells clearing the breach face . . .only about $100 and i already have topper, winchester 120 youth pump . . .model 37 featherweight and ugartachaea with shortened stock . . all in 20 ga. that he will no doubt grow into in the next 18 months (Uggie is mine though) :wink:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OOPS! . . .guest above was me again . . .but you probably knew that . . .forgot to log-in :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts