Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,
My question pertains to a "new" O/U 20-ga. I would rather leave the make/model unknown to obtain some "impartial opinions/advice".

This is a first O/U shotgun for me and has not yet been fired. My question concerns the break lever action that opens the receiver. When the gun is closed the lever does not go back to center, but stays slightly (about a 1/4") to the right. The gun seems to be perfectly locked but offers me cause for safety concerns as I have not seen this happen on display models I have shouldered. The gun dealer I got it from says it is normal and, and although it may cause sighting problems, that it is not a safety issue and will wear in with use. Thus making it lock even tighter. I guess that makes sense...

What Do You Guys Think?

Have You Seen This Before?

Is It A Safety Issue?

Thanks, Degriz

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Perfectly normal, supposed to stay a little to the right when the gun is locked up.

As the gun wears, the lever will move more toward the center, years down the road.

Not a safety issue at all.

Shoot the gun an enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I have a 4 barrel set and in the 20 *****, which has almost never been fired the lever is still a little to the right, the rest are pretty much centered. It is a wear in thing and nothing to worry about at all.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Perfectly normal, supposed to stay a little to the right when the gun is locked up.

As the gun wears, the lever will move more toward the center, years down the road.

Ditto!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Everyone's in agreement on this one. Normal position for the lever on a new o/u is slightly off-center to the right. Will come into "proper" alignment during the breakin period.

good luck and good shooting
hunter20ga

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
hunter20ga said:
Everyone's in agreement on this one.

Will come into "proper" alignment during the breakin period.
Not entirely in agreement. :lol: I shoot an early 80's K-80 with something like 250,000 shells thru it, and although the lock is designed to "wear in", bringing the opening lever more toward center over time, it's still waaaay to the right of center. Maybe I just haven't completed the "break in" period yet. :shock:

I've also got a 95 year old A.H.Fox, and I have no idea how many times it's been fired. I do estimate that in the 37 years I've owned it, I've probaby put 15-20,000 thru it. Again, by it's very design it's meant to self-compensate for normal wear, yet the lever is still well to the right of center.

DeGriz said:
...will wear in with use. Thus making it lock even tighter.
It will never be "tighter" than it is now. If it's a good design, it will only self-compensate as the locking mechanism wears.

When evaluating a used O/U or SxS, one of the first things I'll notice is the position of the opening lever. Well to the right doesn't necessarily indicate that the gun hasn't been fired much, but at least it's a good start, and if it's even slightly to the left of center, I'd probably pass.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Mark, is that dirt that I see near the top of the break down lever. Gasp, gasp. "Take a deeeeep breath, calm yoself down Don". :lol: :lol:

Dirt on a K-80. Heaven forbid, I thought I taught you better than that. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
EyeMissum said:
Mark, is that dirt that I see near the top of the break down lever. Gasp, gasp. "Take a deeeeep breath, calm yoself down Don". :lol: :lol:
:oops:

Sadly, it is. :cry: I didn't see it until I posted the pic, and hoped no one would notice, but 'ol Eagle Eye picked right up on that. In my defense, I did shoot 6 rounds just yesterday and intended to shoot again today before the freezing rain came.

Nobody 'toll me there was gonna be an inspection today! :x I'll get right on that.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
What would your Dad have said......or done. He'd probably blister your butt........ :lol: :lol: "Take better care of your stuff, you think money grows on trees"

"You ain't to old that I can't still give you a good whipping". I still can hear my Dad saying that. :cry: He was 89 when he passed away 6 years ago.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
EyeMissum said:

"...a little to the right..." I agree... a little to the right is good. More recently I have seen some guns that are WAY to the right which I do not like. It's almost as if the marketing people have instructed the manufacturing groups to bias the lever way right as a sign of "quality" or long lfe. For me, slightly to the right is fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts