Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went skeet shooting today to try out a new thrower ive bought, the do-all clay hawk. Very nice machine it seems. Anyways, was shooting the 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads with #8 shot, and the 28 gauge 3/4 loads. after 30-40 birds, my son and i walked down range to pick up unbroken ones. Some of the ones that we thought were a miss, had 1-5 pellet holes right threw them- perfect round holes- but the clay didnt break. It was 12 degrees today (central maine) and was wondering if my loads are under powered in this temp or is the rem clay just tougher to break when it is frozen? dont ask what any sain person is doing shooting skeet at this time of the year! At least the damn black flies dont bite!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Mainemark...I've spent a lot of time shooting in 12 degree and colder weather, too. It's not the most pleasant, but any day spent shooting is well spent!

Can't answer your question on the clays...had they been stored at that temp? Were they, literally, frozen? Or had they been at room temp until you went out? Same questions about your shells.

There's no doubt that cold temps will reduce fps of your loads...but that's assuming you've let the shells reach ambient temperature. When I shoot in these conditions, I keep my shells in an inside pocket to keep them somewhat warmer. You can also use a handwarmer in an outside pocket. Keep extra boxes of shells in your vehicle.

Good luck...and I think it's great you and your son were shooting.

hunter20ga (in North Dakota)

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I'll give you a little comparsion as to the weather temps. :lol:

Yesterday, here in central N.C. temps were in the middle 50's, light winds. Today, 1st day of the new year, temps were in the middle 60's, light breeze. Absolutely beautiful day!

An I shot the worst I've shot in a year. :? :oops: :shock:

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would say the targets may have bin subjected to moister or dampness somtime before shooting, which will make the targets softer,less brittle. biodegradable targets are worst than non bio for this problem.
Scott

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
A lot of what makes a target break if not hit with a lot of pellets
is centrifugal force, some throwers do not put a lot of spin on a bird, making them much harder to break, especially in cold damp conditions.
You could try a different brand of target,
It's not the ammunition.
as previously stated, stay away from bio targets,
especially in 12 degree weather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.