Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These folks make some really exceptional briar proof clothing

http://www.danshuntinggear.com/

Grousen lent me a pair of bibs when we went hunting last Monday and they really did the job. We were in some areas that were logged off a few years ago, and here in Ohio that translates into some really serious briar patches. We get wild rose bushes that will form all but impenetrable tangles that sometimes even dogs have a hard time getting through.

This Saturday I am driving to their store and hopefully getting a set of gloves. I came home with thorns that I had to dig out and the backs of my hands were cut up.

As a benefit, the material is pretty well waterproof. Some of the logs we rested on were wet from from recent rains and we stayed dry under the bibs. I took a tumble from a fence that was from an old farm (buried in the leaves) and even though my knees went down into some semi-muddy dirt, no moisture penetrated.

Another positive feature I noticed with the material they use, is that the ticks didn't get on it. I picked a bunch of ticks off the hooded sweatshirt I wore, but none off the bibs.

Grousen and I are going back out on opening day for pheasant. The area where we are going is not tremendously thorny, but we haven't had a frost yet here to kill the ticks, nor do I see any indication of a frost in the immediate future. There is a chance that I had a go round with Lyme disease in the past, and do not intend to take a chance of a first or subsequent infection.

I do have a set of "brush buster" pants, that have material on the front. However, the ones from Dan's truly are superior.

Over the next couple years, I do believe I am going to have to acquire a full set of this clothing for myself and my wife. I was really impressed.

The only down side to these clothes is that due to the material that makes them briar proof, they don't breath as well as a cotton duck would or the material that the majority of the pants that I own is made of. I can wear the pants over a set of jeans and long undies and not sweat up.

I recommend you all at least browse their site and start your briar proof clothes fund.

· Registered
20,585 Posts
Sturdy nylon bibs are great! Top them off with a nylon jacket and a pair of waterproof boots and you're ready to go. Snow, water, and thorns don't penetrate....... at least not very easily.

I've had some for years. Unfortunately, I don't get much chance to use them here in Florida.

· Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wear Columbia Buga-Boots. They are waterproof and warm in the fall/winter but too warm for summer wear. They also provide pretty good support.

A few years ago I was hunting when it was around 20 below with a wind chill of 50 below. After that day I learned that I needed to learn how dress for the weather. I made it through the cold, just got a bit chilly. Never was close to frostbite or anything, but after that I learned to study fabrics and cloth systems as to how they work together to keep a person comfortable.

· Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not easy finding uninsulated waterproof briar proof bibs
So very true. Good thing is both companies are pretty close to each other in price. The ones I wore were uninsulated / waterproof.

Thanks for posting that up so another source is available.

I will let everyone know how the gloves turn out.

By the way, we were both carrying 16ga Ithaca 37's.........so that kept it pertinent to the Ithaca forum ! :D :roll:

· Registered
2,249 Posts
drcook, they are in fact waterproof. Besides being advertised as such, I have worn them on wet jobs and never got wet. What's also great about them is that they are so lightweight! I can just wear a set of long johns under them, stay warm, and feel no weight at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.