Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes Briley chokes any better than standard choke tubes :?: I'v been shooting a Farbam u/o for many years mainly out in the field, just recently i have taken up sporting clays(F.I.T.A.S.C.) and have noticed 65 to 70% of shooters have had Briley chokes fitted to their gun. Are they suppost to through a better pattern and if so what is it. :?: (Lets say using half choke and three quarter and using 32grams 7 or 8 shot with 30" barels.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't know if they are any better,but I'll tell you one thing.I just bought an out of date sig 12ga o/u,(I didn't know it) and it had briley chokes in it.skeet and skeet.I wanted an IC AND A IM and they costs me $190.00. they had to make them.Once they install their chokes,that is all you can use.their threading is propiatery(sp)nothing else will work,so you better think real hard before you have it done.If I had known that,I wouldn't have bought the sig,although it is a really sweet shooter. sj

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am also a newbie on this (have only shot one round of SC) and I think one of the main reasons they are popular is because the external knurled extension enables you to just reach up and swap them out without tools. Plus I think they just look kinda neat and they caught on. Also, I think being longer is supposed to enable them to throw a little better pattern. I am green on this also; this is just the info I have gathered.

Mark

·
Registered
11,612 Posts
Actually, factory chokes are notoriously sized incorrectly. I've measured many of them and found them to be wrong. Briley chokes are right on the money.

That's the reason they're so popular.

G

·
Briley makes their thin-walled choke system for installing in older doubles with thin barrels. Briley also makes replacement choke tubes for most standard systems. They have a reputation for making a good product. As the guy said above, they are accurately sized. In addition, they will make a custom tube if you are having trouble getting the pattern you want.

So overall, it seems that they have a good share of the specality choke market and of the retrofit market.

I have a gun with their thin wall system, and the chokes for it are expensive. But their stock replacement chokes for other systems are cheaper. Briley also offers a complete competition package gun, so maybe some of your people are shooting them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mark (mmc45414),

Briley's not the only company that makes extended chokes (that can be screwed in without tools). Most of the big names offer an extended version of their chokes :D

(not that I have anything against Briley!)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yup, sjones... :D

I was just letting mark now that if he's in the market for "generic" chokes (for a standard Remington, or Beretta, etc.) he can find extended chokes from other manufacturers besides Briley...

G

·
Briley chokes are spendy but their quality is very good. As someone else said a lot of tubes are not consistant, a lot of them also don't fit very well.

For custom barrel work or custom chokes they can't be beat, you want a specific thousandth choke constriction they will make it for you, and their choke selection is very good. In fact when I had my perazzi barrels done they even offered to cut down the knurling on the extended chokes to get them to fit.

Todd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anonymous said:
Briley also makes replacement choke tubes for most standard systems. quote]

Not only does Briley offer their chokes for some of the standard systems, they are often cheaper. For instance, on my Browning 525, the Browning brand Midas extended chokes are $50.00 each and Briley offers extended choke tubes for the invector plus system that I have found as cheap as 35.00.

My two cents. Probably only worth a half, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts