Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is a diffusion tube and what is it supposed to do for me? I have been trying find some information on this tube on the WWW and can't find anything about it other than it has a restriction of .005 and this is the same restriction as a skeet tube. What, if any, advantage would this tube give me over a cylinder bore or skeet tube?

G

·
diffusion tubes are rifled in order to dipers the shot pattern some nine extra inches .
i had them for my skb685,and to tell you the truth,they didnt improve my scores.
personally,i prefer skeet 1 for outgoers and cylinder for incomers

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
If you are asking about Brileys new diffusion tube, this is a skeet tube that has rifling cut into it. This is supposed to further open the pattern another 5-10%. You would want this for tight cover and fast flushing birds like quail or grouse, some sporting clays stations, or even station 8 in skeet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't think that 10% would justify the extra 20 dollars over the price of a cylinder tube.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you haven't seen a pattern shot through a diffusion tube compared to one through either a skeet or a cylinder you may be in for a surprise. With exactly the same load fired through each the diffusion will not be noticably wider, BUT... and this is the reasoning behind their being...the diffusion is more evenly distributed. Whereas most constrictions-even true cylinder bore-will have a "hot" center with a disproportionate number of pellets, the diffusion is beautifully even over its entire spread. I have shot them in both Brownings (Invector Plus) and Beretta (Mobile Choke) systems, and in the Beretta they are effective so far past cylinder range that it is not believable. In the Brownings, they seemed to be most effective with 8's at closer ranges. I couldn't see as much improvement with 9's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey AF,

A lot of shooters swear by diffusion chokes for skeet. To me, they are just TOO loose a pattern for anything.

The loosest I would go overall is IC for any game. I think if a shooter can't hit anything with IC or even cylinder, then chokes are the least of their worries... they need to look at fit and mount.

Chokes can be a good gage of your success. Going to a tighter pattern says your shooting has improved enough that you can hit birds with smaller patterns. I got a guy at my club who is 64 yrs old, and shoots skeet with a Beretta 390 .410Ga and MODIFIED choke!... He gets 25's all day!

The day I get consistent 25's and 100's with mod/mod, is the day I move myself into a 20Ga. DT-10!

Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.