Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for any of you who has used or know someone who has used Briley's 12 to 20 ga Sidekicks.
Do they work satisfactory, any issues ?
Years ago, I tried a set of 28 to 410 ga Chambermates, and while they did break skeet targets, I could never get used to the hollow sound that they made as the gun fired, sounded like a weak reload. In fairness to Briley their Sidekicks are longer than the chamber length Chambermates.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have used them was very pleased. I like them better than full length tubes they don't change your barrel dynamics as much.

Buster

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just something to think about. I have a set of the four tenners for my 20 ga. I found that I get better/ more useful patterns out of the 410 if I use an x full turkey choke vs a mod or even full choke. Can't say that it would work for all guns but it does for mine.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I was an active skeet shooter for over 30 years and have had at least 4 4 barrel sets, 4 sets of Kolar and 4sets of briley full length tubes. I can't take the weight in SC so I bought a set of side kicks and can't tell the difference in the 20 or 28 , vs the full length, I have never used the 410's. I will tell you they leave you a very dirty and hard to clean barrel when finished.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am a huge fan of Sidekicks! I do not like the added weight of full length tubes. I didn't get any for a while due to the negative reports here on Shotgunworld. After talking to some people that used the Chambermates I decided to try some 12/28 gauge Sidekicks. I use Winchester AA Supersports and never have a weird sounding shot. Very consistent. Never felt like I was at a disadvantage with them. Just received a set of 20's. So far have picked up 9 punches with them in "A" and "AA". The downside is they are dirty! The nylon buttons falling off turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I now put a couple of wraps of Teflon tape on them and tap them in. The tape holds them in place and reduces the carbon/blowback into the action.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
They do great job. On the nylon buttons, using Gun Scrubber or equivalent will unglue them, so keep it away from that area. Teflon tape sounds like a good plan, though.

Demi

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I just received my 20 ga. sidekicks and hope to first use them in an NSCA event this weekend. This is a laziness question, which surely I would likely figure out quickly with a little thought and experience, but I'd like to hear about your experience with the sidekicks if you would indulge me:

If one starts with a clean barrel and clean sidekick, both lightly oiled, shoots the sub-***** first (20 ga. in my case), then knocks them out to immediately follow by shooting the 12 ga. event, does the gun need cleaning between shooting the two different guages?

How about the order reversed, with the 12 ga. shot first?

I was aware of the dirtiness/cleaning issue before I decided to go with sidekicks as opposed to the expense of an extra barrel set. Also, I much prefer the feel and balance of the sidekicks over full length tubes.

I only need a sub-***** a few times per year for clays and my current twenty ***** guns are far from ideal for registered events. I'll be shooting both guages on the same day almost exclusively and I'm prepared for the little bit of inconvenience cleaning between guages, but I'm curious how extensive a cleaning will be neccessary if I shoot the 20 first. I'm hoping a few passes with one of those old fashioned fluffy nylon bore cleaners followed by some Break-Free CLP will do? Or maybe a Bore Snake as opposed to a complete scrubbing?

I would do a thorough cleaning at the end of the day. But I'm hoping it may be possible to avoid that chore in the middle of a shoot and still get the sidekicks inserted fully if I shoot the 12 first or; still have a properly functioning 12 without complete cleaning if I happen to shoot the 20 ga. sidekicks first.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I wouldn't put inserts in a dirty gun but don't see anything wrong with knocking them out and shooting the 12 gauge without cleaning it.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
IMO dirt & crud in the barrel doesn't matter unless it sits there for a long time...like in storage. Use them and before you put the gun up, clean them. That would be just once at the end of the day or at the end of the shoot.

YMMV

Demi

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Shooting the sidekicks first is fine then the 12 but I clean the barrel if I am shooting the 28 the same day as the 20.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I carry both pair of Sidekicks in one of those clear Plano boxes. It also holds the hammer, the 3 piece rod, a small bottle of oil, a bore snake and a roll of teflon tape. If I shoot a subgauge first I usually run the bore snake through the gun. That's just me. Probably not necessary. But it just takes an extra minute.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Not sure I understand. Can't I just leave the Sidekicks in, then use a 20 gauge brush and mop in the sidekicks, and then use a 12 gauge brush and mop in the rest of the barrel?

In other words, do I have to take the Sidekicks out to clean the gun?

Randy

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Clean the 12ga barrels before shooting 12ga, if you've shot enough with the short tubes you'll build up quite a bit of ejecta that can be hard as concrete, and if you force a 12ga load over it it can result in a bulged barrel.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Other than the previously documented dirty gun issue, a couple of us have had trouble with certain shells. AA and STS work fine, but we have had trouble with Fiocchi and Rio 20 gauge shells. The bases expand and the ejectors pull the entire insert out of the gun. This can happen with full length tubes too, but it is not as common. In my opinion, they shoot as well as full length tubes if you are going down only one gauge.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Retired 2006,

I recently purchased 20G Side Kicks for my Guerini Summit Ltd., and in the 2 or 3 times I've used them, I'm pretty happy. They get very black and gross on the outside after shooting, but they clean up OK.

As far as inserting them into a previously fired but uncleaned gun, one of my shooting buddies does it all the time with no issues. A little lite lube first and you should have no problems.

Chokes: I use the same chokes I would select for my 12G, which is the advise I got. So far, that seems to work well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yep ejectors will work, but since the ejectors are spring loaded you can't just hammer them in like you can a citori, you need to use a driver

1 - 19 of 19 Posts