Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know from the archives (which did not answer my questions) that there are some differences in each. I am looking to purchase a set of tubes in the next several months.

What are the major differences in each tube? I had a set of Brileys in my old GTi and they worked good.

IF I get lucky, I might find a set of used ones. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Drake Outfitters said:
Better make sure they'll fit your gun, too, before you fork over any cash.

Fitted tubes are not routinely interchangeable with guns other than the one for which they were fitted.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
If it is fitted tubes you are talking about, I have owned both brands and liked both very much. I currently own Kolar because I bought them with a Kolar shotgun.

Heed Case's advise....although many will tell you that you can or that they did, do not try to swap fitted tubes from gun to gun.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I would lean to the Kolar's.I have the opportunity to shoot at different clubs with many shooters.I hear many complaints about the Briley tubes nary a word from the Kolar bunch other than praise.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Briley gets my nod,

I am biased as they right here near me in the Houston area.
I think both brands are fine.

I know personally the effort and expertise that briley gives to customers..

Good Luck

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shoot w/ guys that have both and it is like the "Ford and Chevy" debate.

I do have a few marbles up stairs :roll: and would make damn sure the tubes were for my gun before I used them. That is if I ever found a used set.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have Kolars never had a bit of trouble.... My friend has Kolars in his Kgun and Brileys in the 3200 he shot for years prior to passing it on to his nephew. I think you are good either way.
I am in no way an "expert" on this subject but I do know I would be very cautious buying used tubes (ones not specifically fitted to my barrels). My 682 won't even close if I so much as put the upper tube in the lower barrel. Can't imagine what a set from a different gun would cause.

Just my .02

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's not enough to get used tubes that were originally fitted to a gun of the same make and model. I wouldn't touch a set of used tubes unless I were buying a used gun and tubes as a set. I don't know about Kolar, but Briley warns you up front not to attempt swapping tubes, even a like make and model.

My son and I have identical Citoris, but produced in different years. They both have Revolution tubesets. But the tubes have been milled so specifically, for such a snug fit, that you'd never be able to fit them in the other gun. Briley marks the tubes with the inside dimensions, and even though the guns are identical for the most part, the inside bbl diameters aren't even close.

I guess that's why I don't often see anyhone selling just the tubeset, without the bbls.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Briley and Kolar tubes appear to perform comparably. The only complaint I've heard about Kolar tubes is if you split one they SOMETIMES will not replace them at no cost. They tell you the split tube was caused by your reloads. But Briley will always replace a split tube at no cost.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Drake Outfitters said:
I know from the archives (which did not answer my questions) that there are some differences in each. I am looking to purchase a set of tubes in the next several months.

What are the major differences in each tube? I had a set of Brileys in my old GTi and they worked good.

Drake Outfitters,

As many have already said, used fitted tube sets aren't really an option since they are custom fit to each barrel.

You can't make a bad decision here. Both Briley and Kolar make excellent tube sets.

Briley takes a little bit longer than Kolar to get your barrels and tube sets back to you. But, from conversations I have had with dealers and shooters, Briley has better after the sale customer service.

Briley offers more features than Kolar and has been more innovative lately. Some folks don't look at this as a positive for Briley. Briley did make a mistake recently with a tube set design that did not work out. Their newer tube set design, the Revolution, is excellent and has been extremely reliable.

Kolar tubes have not changed in many years. They are reliable and you certainly know what you are going to get.

I prefer Briley but you will get great performance whatever tube sets you choose to buy.

Scott

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Drake Outfitters,

Browning has at least two different bore 12 gauge barrel systems out there. The current system used in all Citori and Cynergy models is called "Invector Plus". The immediately previous system was called "Invector".

I am not sure what the Superposed line used or how it is different.

So yes, assuming you buy the right companion tubes, a used set will fit.

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.