Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled on to Roger O/U's past thread with his successful search for a Brittany, along with some great pic's..and how similar the stories from his first year where to mine...so Roger,..put some of your pic's on this thread too,..along with everyone else who'd like to show off their brits!
Great lookin pup ya got there sir.

Casey the day we picked her out

1st week home

6 months with her buddy Vlad

10 months old

Few weeks ago,..right around 14 months.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
jefo1 said:
Stumbled on to Roger O/U's past thread with his successful search for a Brittany, along with some great pic's..and how similar the stories from his first year where to mine...so Roger,..put some of your pic's on this thread too,..along with everyone else who'd like to show off their brits!
Great lookin pup ya got there sir.

How can I refuse an invitation like that?!

Parker a year ago.

This season.

Last Sunday she found Pheasants and Chucker, pointed, held point, dove-in on the "go" command and I shot the various flushing birds. It was exciting as can be.
Electrifying. I literally screamed with joy.
She understands everything we tell her.
Great dog.

Thanks for the nod!
Enjoy, Roger.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Gar....great lookin pup...pay attention to the little things the pup does right now,..along with the easy commands,.if she points naturally you should know by now,..I was VERY un-easy wondering what Casey's first hunt would be like....to say I was absolutely amazed would be an understatement,..very similar to Rogers experiences,.worked close...found and pointed birds like a champion.listed to every command I gave her..found 2 cripples with ease, and held point until the bird flushed or until I gave the excited voice command "get the bird" Her second hunt she even did a complete retrieve on a chuckar last sunday (A real bonus, I never expected that)
I've always kept the training brief and simple, and never set the bar too high for her to acheive.took her to the gun range while sighting in the rifles..took her to the farm while I shot some clays with my brother..kept her on a run 50-75 yards from us at all times..never even flinched an ear..was just curious & wanted to come by us with every shot she heard,..can't even clean one of my guns in front of her now,..figures we're close to another hunt when she see them....if the dog has good blood line...the dog will hunt,and most things did come surprisingly easy..keep to the absolute basics, let the dog show the natural talent & let em have a fun doing it. Dog does the hunting,..you hunt with the dog,...
Now Roger....we are gonna have a talk about Parker and Casey gettin together one of these Sundays & clearing a few fields...Casey was looking over my shoulder while I was looking at your pics and she's pretty sure Parker is a 2nd cousin twice removed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Located in Morris,....got permission to hunt a pile of property just south of the illinois river...not a ton of birds there these days....been going to Erianna Hunt Club for the most part....first class outfit,..especially for the younger pups ya want to expose to birds consistantly.
http://www.eriennahuntclub.com/
Ya say your from the Chicago area?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Roger:
It may have been that first pic of yours above - or one almost just like it - when you got Parker home that was probably the turning point for us. I remember making sure my wife saw those pics, and my little ones too. We ood and ahhd over that thread.
G

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
hah!!
Love it.
Thanks Gar-dog.
I'm finally doing something good for the public. :)

Jefo
I've been hunting 2-3 hours north in Wisconsin.
Near the Kettle Moraine national park.
Plus The Highlands
http://www.thehighlandsclub.com/birds.htm
Plus
Richmond Hunt club in Northern Illinois
http://richmondhuntclub.com/hunting.htm

Maybe one day I'll come join you at Erianna.
It looks ideal.
That's not to far. My office is in the city.

The growing Brittany community is thriving.

Enjoy, Roger.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Boys,

Both Parker and Casey have very radical docks; is that normal? Any special reason? Fashion? I like a bit more rudder on my Spaniels, so they are 1/3 docked, 2/3 remaining with a bit of white feather if possible. As per...

Regards
Eug

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I think Parkers dock is the standard length for American Brittanys.

I do like the tail on English Pointers and GSPs.
It completes the point in my eyes.

If I could go back in time I would tell the breeder to leave the tail alone or give it a few more inches.

My dogs will never be shown or in any competition.

Here's a bunch of winner show Britts.
You can see their tails are all this length.
http://www.jayhawkerbrittanys.com/maskedbandit.htm

Roger.

·
Registered
316 Posts
We went to visit our new pup, Catherine, today. She's 5-1/2 weeks now and cute as a button. We're planning to bring her home the first week of January. Here are a couple of pics with my girls.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I think eug's post is tongue in cheek
Gary, not at all.

Tail damage is is very real issue with us following a ban on docking in England and Wales. The shooting fraternity had a real battle to allow working breeds to be docked, and under given circumstances it's now legal. In Scotland all docking is currently banned (we're working on it) so that Spaniel breeders are either going to break the law or travel over the border which might be some hundreds of miles away.

The old "standard" dock was much like yours are currently; just a stump. In the last twenty years or so the 2/3 - 1/3 thing has become popular. Applying it sensibly I've seen little tail damage. Anna the ***** I pic'ed did just once nick her tail scrabbling under a barbed wire fence.

Lori, thanks for the very charming snaps....lovely!

Eug

1 - 20 of 26 Posts