Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some infor from the guys who run Brittany's.

I'm embattled in a little debate on another board about keeping the dog outdoors. How much cold can one of those little buggers endure when they're housed in an outdoor run with an insulated house, with ample amounts of good food and clean water? (Basically how much cold can a well fed Britt take before it has to be brought indoors?)

·
Registered
819 Posts
My breeder is in southern OK and based on the number of dogs he has, I think he keeps them outside all year long.

I know of another one, somewhere in central IN who keep his britts outside unless it gets "really cold".

Over the last few week we (in IL) have had temps 15-30 degrees and I had hard time getting my dog inside. He loves these temps.

I guess my bigger problem is that (French) Britt. are supposed to be indoor dogs and need human interaction daily. They are not even very good dogs to kennel over long period of time.

Based on what I read, seems as you just trying to leave the dog somewhere with food, water and come back two weeks later. I would not do it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Personally, I don't think it that this is the case. Sometimes I wish I had yard big enough and "soft" local codes to build large "run" for my dog. I would still take him inside overnight regardless of temperature due to theft, racoons,barking etc.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Have had bird dogs since the age of nine(now 65). Pointers -Setters -Springers-Brits-GSP's etc. I now have a Gsp 9mo. old puppy that is the light of my eye. She is so smart it is scary. The best of all was "BRANDY" a little Brit that just made standard for size. As my trainer told me when she was 9mo.old "you may own 500 dogs but you will never have another one that has the heart this one does!" She was 18 yrs old when she passed and I cried like a baby! She was little but did not know the meaning of the word quit. Often I had to pick her up and carry her out of the woods as she did not want to stop hunting. Sorry about the rambling but after 15 yrs I still miss her.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I live here in Kansas City, MO and have always kept my Britts outside. Last week it was -10 degrees one morning. I went out to the kennel and he didn't come out to greet me, I was a bit worried so I went over and stuck my hand into the dog house. He was curled up in the straw and was toasty warm, just sound asleep.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil, I suspected as much but wasn't willing to jump harshly on the woman about it until I heard from some folks who actually own one and use it for the purpose the breed was created for. A Britt is bred to be a hunting dog and be outdoors where the birds are. (You aren't going to find many birds indoors on the couch. :wink: )

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a French Brittany, and he is outside all day long. I live in Minnesota, so it gets pretty freaking cold here. He was outside everyday last winter, even when it hit the -20s. Now at that temp you need to have a good doghouse for them, but that holds true of most any breed. As far as French Brittany Spaniels being an indoor dog, well I will disagree with that. They do crave social interaction, but that is true of pretty much any dog too. As for me, I like having the dogs around as much as they like being around me, so at night they are in the house with me, but that is my choice, not that they can't take the cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Northern Oklahoma and my Brit stays outside all the time. I did have him kenneld till about two months ago. We moved from a urban setting to 8 miles in the middle of nowhere. He now goes where he wants. (which isnt too far, he stays close to home) I have heard people say that ruins the hunting dog, but I have to argue that. He seems much less excitable, and is alot more fun to be around. He still hunts just as good as ever. I will dread the day we have to move somewhere where he will be contained again. Back to your question, it got down to negitive teens last week. He came out of his house when I would leave in the mornings, and climb back into his warm house whenever he got cold. (Which wasn't that often.) Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is a stale question, but I feel I just have to reply. To"fase3", you touched my heart because my favorite dog in the whole world was my little ***** "Brandywine Babe". She was a britt that loved being outside, but only as long a I was not home. When I was home, her place was beside me. To "omyomy111", yes, the dog can, and will handle the rigors of extremely cold weather, and that is a very good point, but the most important point is that a brittany with be a better performer if they are part of a close, loving relationship with their owner. They can, and do function well as a piece of equipment, but you, as an owner will not enjoy the fullest rewards of having a britt by your side unless you also bring that animal into your life.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sagehenfreak, I think you misunderstood me. Vern is a very active part of my life. Anyone that knows me, would tell you in a heartbeat that he is my pride and joy. He will always be more of a best friend to me than a dog. However I do keep him outside during the day when I am not home. The simple reality is, I work, there is no one home during the day. I have 3 dogs at the moment, two that are mine, plus I do Foster Care for American Brittany rescue. I refuse to crate my dogs all day long, to me that is cruel and unusual punishment, and to let them run loose in the house during the day? Not a chance, I am not insane either, you don't let 2 dogs run free that are under 2 years old. They have a run that is 40 ft long and varies from 10 to 20 ft wide, not many people I have ever met give their dogs a run that size. I would be careful to make disparaging remarks about how people see and treat their dogs without knowing a thing about them. You can say most anything about me, I don't care, but you tread thin ice when you speak ill about how I treat my dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.