Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock: Had my MEC Grabber (old 76 model) break on Saturday as I was finishing up loading 300 shells. The repriming spring broke. :shock: Strange thing was it broke in three different places?!?!?!. I guess after lord knows how many rounds loaded over the last 20+ years, the metal just finally wore out. MEC has a new one in the mail to me. Only bad thing that happened was I dumped two loads of powder all over the place because the spring did not actuate the charge bar stop.

I for one can say that the MEC Grabber is a fine peice of hardware for reloading. I all the years I have had mine this is the first broken part I have had to replace, accept for the plastic wad guide. Keep it clean and lube it once in a long while and it will easily out last you!

APEXDUCK

G

·
I crunched a case in my 9000G last spring and bent a part. I'm close enough to Mayville that I just called ahead and made an appointment.

The folks in Mayville did a great job, including a solvent dip, factory relubricating, and a complete adjustment. They were knowledgeable, friendly, and went out of their way to make sure it was all done right, including a couple of minor improvements at no charge that were made since I bought my press. The price was very reasonable.

What more can you ask for?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My MEC 600jr is still going strong after 25+ years, though it has not always seen continuous use. I also reload for pistol and rifle. I got back into shotgun reloading this past summer with the purchase of a Franchi 612 semi-auto..prior to this I had not reloaded shotgun shells for a few years. It's fun to get back into a hobby that you once were into before...I guess that is part of aging. Anyway, I hope you get yours up and running soon. I probably passed not far from you on my way Monday to a Dove hunt in Mount Olive, NC. Eight of us from work went down...they had cut 80 acres of corn...we were disappointed in the amount of Doves...only a few...shot 12 shells and got two birds...actually wasted a few shells on a dove too far out...after setting for several hours, I decided to go for it. When I got to work Tuesday several guys hunted in a field near my house and was talking of hundreds of doves flying in and out...they all got their limit in a couple of hours. I will try that field this Saturday.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back up and running. MEC shipped the part to me and I had it up and running last Thursday. I guess after 20 years of compressing that spring it finally was work hardend enough to become brittle an shatter.

Hawkeye421, I did quite well on doves. I got lucky and wasinvited to hunt some private land about 15-20 minutes from Apex. A little slow at first, as one would expect at noon. By 3:30 all heck broke loose. Birds were everywhere in groups of 3 to 5. I lost 3 in some tall grass , but recovered the other 9 birds. Made a heck of a shot on a pair about 30 yards out quartering away left to right. bang , bang 8) Rolled them both ! But both fell in the high grass not to be found. But I did count all 3 of my lost birds as part of my bag limit. I love to eat them but I wish more guys would count lost birds in their bag limit. Dead is dead even if you can't retrieve them.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to agree that the folks at MEC will really treat you right. I found that I was having a problem crimping due to some slop in my 600jr from some worn bushings in the mechanism. This is understandable because my loader is over 25+ years old and has loaded an untold number of shells between myself and the friend who gave it to me. I contacted MEC and explained that a friend had given me the loader and the symptoms I was experiencing. They had me ship it to them for repair. I received a brand new unit today (one week turn-around) along with a note (hand written) explaining that they thought that it was more cost effective to replace mine than repair it. This was done at no additional expense to me over and above the shipping fees. Now that is customer service :D :D . I would recommend their product for this reason alone even if they didn't make a great reloader.---AFG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts