Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a new 12g O/U for shooting mostly sporting clays (possibly some skeet) and have found some deals that look pretty good. I love my SX1 with a full trap barrel but want something a little more flexible and forgiving for sporting clays.

I have shot a Browning Citori White Lightning a few times and like the feel of it, shouldered the Cynergy, but not shot one, and have never touched the FN built 101s (just shouldered the older ones). My goal is to shoot the Cynergy and 101, but don't know anyone who owns either of these and the only place that rents guns only has White Lightnings.

The guns are all 28" barrel 12g and the details are:
Win 101 Field from CDNN for $999
Browning Cynergy Satin Classic Field for $1400
Browning Citori Lightning from a local shop for $1300

I am looking for opinions/recommendation on the which might be the best gun for the value, but open to other feedback or deals I have missed.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have an older Winchester O/U and several Browning Citori's and my Win. has become my go to gun. There is just something about that gun that I realy like. It is well regulated and is so smooth to open and fits me well. I have not shot one of the new 101's but think they are a very good deal. Try and shoot one if you can!!
Dave

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The 101 Field is a nice field gun and a great value at $999 especially.

It is, however, light for clay shooting.

I like a 32" for Sporting Clays, but then again I don't shoot Brownings, which have heavy, sluggish barrels (some models even more than others). I wouldn't buy a 12 Gauge 28" O/U specifically for shooting clays. I have a 28" that I used for that, and it didn't swing right. I had to force it. OTOH it works wonderfully on birds, which don't fly the same as clays do.

The White Lightning is a heavy SOB for a field gun, which will make it work better on clays than most 28" guns will. I can't imagine using one for bird hunting, because it's too slow to the shoulder and too slow to swing -- but for clays, you want a smoother, slower swing. The new 101 Field, which makes a great field gun, is quick and light. That means it comes up fast on flushing birds, and swings well for them, but at the range it won't track clays as well as a heavier gun, and it will have more felt recoil.

Both the 101 and Cynergy have low-profile receivers, and therefore different geometry from the tall Citori.

All told, I believe you'd be best off looking for a Sporting Clays gun, 30" if it has a heavy barrel set and 32" if a livelier one. Don't sweat a few hundred bucks. $1400 gets you in spitting distance of a gun that's appropriate to what you want to do with it. I shoot a 32" 682 Gold E Sporting at the Skeet range sometimes, though it's mainly for Sporting Clays. It works great for both -- but a 682's barrel set is a hell of a lot livelier than a Miroku's barrels ("Browning"). The Belgian-made barrels on the new 101 are also lively; I'd like to try one of the 101 Sporting models.

·
Registered
512 Posts
scgss,

I'm a big fan of the Belgian-built Winchesters, in fact as a long time Citori guy, after shooting the Winchester for a couple of years, I sold my last 12 gauge Citori.

Mine is a Sporting Model (Platinum Sporting) with 30" barrels. BarryD is right, the Winchesters are light for a target gun (mine weighs exactly 7.5lbs). Recoil has not been an issue for me, but I shoot 1oz loads and never more than 100 per day.

IMO the quality of these guns is on par with the Browning Citori/Cynergy line at hundreds of dollas less for a comparible model. They are backed by Browning service. Naturally fit is important, so check them out before you buy, but if you like the Wichester get it. I really like mine.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
When I picked up my first FN 101, I was not impressed. However, since that time I've heard nothing but good things about them. I think it could be a good gun for you.

I am a Cynergy fan though. When I needed some cash and had to sell a gun, the Citori went and the Cynergy stayed. I'm not sorry I made that choice. I wouldn't hesitate to get another Citori, I just like the Cynergy better.

For what you are telling us you want to do, try to get the Sporting version of any of them. It will suit your purpose better.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
IMO the quality of these guns is on par with the Browning Citori/Cynergy line at hundreds of dollas less for a comparible model.
...and with a better barrel set. The best Citori barrels I've felt are passable at best. Many, I wouldn't get near. The Cynergy geometry, I like, but the barrels haven't especially impressed me, either. Miroku is not and has never been up to Belgian FN/Browning standards for barrel feel in 12 Gauge. The 20s are all right, but it looks like you're looking at 12.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
you should qualify your statement about B-25 barrels. They only come in fixed choke, making a lighter barrel. B-25's are great guns, but in my opinion lack the weight for sporting clays swing requirements, not to mention the lack of choke tubes. The Citori is the most popular gun on the clay ranges, bar none...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too had the same question and guns plus a SKB I felt the citori was clumbsy and liked the cynergy but the price was high.

I got the f/n 101 , I like the quality and handling .I did change the reoil pad cuz the pacymer decelarater stabbed my barreled chest . The kickezz adds weight and so do extended chokes and Ive shot 100 no problem since the pad .

love this gun !

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The Browning Cynergy Classic Field is a relatively heavy field gun but perfect for Sporting Clays or even Skeet.

I shouldered and shot one a couple of weeks ago and have been looking for one ever since.

Does the place you found have more than one at $1400.00? I'm finding them for $1700.00.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Winchester is a great deal from CDNN. I personally don't like the stock geometry. I have shouldered and shot several Citoris , and I was set on purchasing a Browning 525 when I saw a Cynergy Classic Field at Sports Authority for 1399. The instant I shouldered it, I liked it better than the others. I now own two Cynergys of which one is a Trap Combo. It should all boil down to fit and the type of sport you intend to pursue. I'd get a gun built specifically for clay sports versus a field gun.

Good luck and let us know what you bought.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
It all comes down to which one feels "right" for you, regardless of what advice you may receive. I own a Cynergy Sporting Classic with a 30" inch barrel and it is one of my favorite guns. I bought it after trying a Citori and in my hands the Citori felt ackward by comparison. BUT, you will find lots of shooters who feel exactly the opposite. So go figure. It is a highly personal thing. Now, having said all of that, I prefer any of my Berettas to the Cynergy although the low profile geometry is roughly similar. Don't limit yourself to just one brand. There are lots of choices out there and in the end, the goal is to find a gun that is comfortable in your hands, one that you can shoot well and most importantly, one that you are happy with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.