Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on a quest to own at least one of each of these models of Browning Shotguns.

Gold, Citori, BPS, 2000, and A-5.
So far I've been able to aquire a Gold, Citori, and BPS.

I am wondering why there are not more 2000's available out there. Were they not considered good guns by browning or what? I used to own one and it was one of the best shooting guns I've ever had. One of those "Man I wish I hadn't sold that one" moments. Same goes for my belgium made 16 ga A-5 too! :cry:

Please help with info on the 2000. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
30,199 Posts
Last April I traded a very well used BPS and a few dollars for an absolutely pristine Browning B 2000 12 gauge with a 30 3" mag full choke barrel. Don't forget Jeff's Outfitters, that has lots and lots of brand new old stock barrels for $120 for the vent ribs and $60 for the plain barrels. I bought a vent rib skeet barrel and a plain modified barrel, and now I have a "three barrel" set and a like new B 2000, all for less than $500 out of pocket expense.

Of all the gun trades I've ever made, this one "looks" the best to me when I take out all those barrels and that gorgeous gun and fondle them.

Was the 2000 a great gun? Yes, absolutely. Not a problem I've ever heard of with them.

Why didn't they sell? Price. Look at the old Shooter's Bibles. They cost more than a Japanese made Auto Five. They about the most expensive semi auto shotgun of their day. Cost even more than a Super X Model One. Pricey, they were.

Why are they worth squat today? No choke tubes. They aren't Auto Fives, either. You can shoot three inch shells only in three inch barrels, and the three inch barrels don't work well with any 2 3/4 inch loads. You can shoot steel shot in them, they say, but only the smaller sizes, and not through the full choke barrels. Parts are available, but not plentiful. They just aren't worth much today, at least not in 12 gauge.

But, I just worship my 2000. It's made like a Swiss watch. Gorgeous bluing and finish, and the traditional, hard, shiny, glossy, showy Browning "French walnut". If that's not enough, the butt plate is hard rubber, curved, and says "Browning Automatic" on it. What a nice, nice gun. :wink:

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
SuperXOne said:
They just aren't worth much today, at least not in 12 gauge.
The nearest Cabelas Store had a 12ga version in prestine condition. First one I ever seen. I can't remember what they were asking, but it wasn't a price reflecting it wasn't worth much. THey were asking a couple thousand. I thought anyway.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I really miss mine..... :(

Shot my first 50 straight trap with it. Traded it off on an O/U.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My brother owns a nice one and I can tell you he would sell it for less than a couple thousand, for sure! He is looking for 3" capability, and I'm sure he hasn't even considered another barrel. I'm pretty sure he will part with it. PM me if you are interested, and I'm sure a deal can be worked out.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
01lariat said:
SuperXOne said:
They just aren't worth much today, at least not in 12 gauge.
The nearest Cabelas Store had a 12ga version in prestine condition. First one I ever seen. I can't remember what they were asking, but it wasn't a price reflecting it wasn't worth much. THey were asking a couple thousand.
A coupla thousand for a 2000?? I don't think so. Someone is confusing the model number with the value.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I still occasionally hunt with my B 2000 12. I have full, mod and skeet barrels for it and I would like a 3" barrel for it and have choke tubes installed.

Browning quit making it because it was costly to make and it got the rep of being tough to clean.

It is the only gun with which I have shot 4 quail on a covey rise.

The gun is butt ugly, and I plan to restore it. I have a new stock and fore end for it. If I restore it, I will take both before and after photos of it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I know people who have them and love them. I think I was put off by the gaping hole in the receiver. It was replaced by the B-80, which is getting harder to find now as well.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
What is that gaping hole for? Does it have purpose? It looks nice other than that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The hole in the side is where you load the gun. It also has a speed load facility so that the first shell is automatically chambered. If you are right handed, with the gun held in the right hand, it's so easy to load. Just stuff the shells in. As to cleaning, not hard when you understand how, mid west have manuels. Parts can be obtained from Numrich and Western Gun Parts. I have two in 12g very cool when you are using it as people seem to get very confussed when they see it being loaded. As to chokes, who cares, if you miss you where in the wrong place! Try harder or learn to shoot.......joke! Regards Richard

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Thanks Dickie for the input.

Back to the one I spoted at Cabelas. It was in the gun library surrounded by high end stuff. I'm sure they wanted some good money for it being it was in the library, but the exact figure I can't remember. Though I do remember it had gold inlays and it was pretty fancy.

·
Registered
30,199 Posts
To give you some idea of how depressed their prices are, Jeff's has offered brand new, in the wrapper, 12 gauge barrels for a few years for $60 for the plain barrels, $120 for the vent ribs. Those prices are a fraction of what Browning sold the barrels for brand new thirty years ago.

There are a lot of "obsolescent" old semi automatic shotguns that have fixed chokes that you can buy for cheap. The Smith and Wesson 1000 is another example. From what I see, it's hard to buy a really trashed B 2000 for less than two hundred bucks, but three hundred bucks seems to buy one that looks about like it's never been fired. High condition doesn't add the premium to those old guns that it should, and poor condition doesn't seem to beat them down as much, either.

The trouble with a B 2000, like a lot of other guns, is finding one that's really "cherry" that somebody wants to sell for the little dab of money they seem to command today. Eventually, you find one. It's worth the hunt. :wink:

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have one with 3 barrels, 2 with tubes. The 3" has Briley steel shot tubes, it's 28" VR. The 26" VR 2.75" barrrel has True Choke thinwalls. The last barrrel is a deer barrel that I have never shot. Have to take some slugs out and try it. I really like the gun for an auto.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts