Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating the purchase of a used Browning 325, w/ 28 barrels in 12 *****. The gun would be used for sporting clays, skeet, & trap, in that order.

The gun is the "Gold" model, and being offered to me @ $1,600. I am not sure what the gun is actually worth, so I've posted that question in the "worth" forum.

My question is, what improvements has Browning made in their progression from the 325, to the 425, and to the current 525 models? Are the differences subtle, or are they important? Do the 325 guns have the back-boring & the lengthened forcing cone?

Any & all opinions would be appreciated. I'm a bit new to O/U's, but I'm learning.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
The 325 has the standard bore, the 425 is overbored, and the 525 is overbored with some of the barrel thickness removed from the middle of the barrel to help alleviate muzzle heaviness. None of the Brownings, to my knowledge, have lengthened forcing cones. I have a 20 ga 525 sporting clays and I like the gun an awful lot. The $1600 sounds like the going rate for the 325 Golden Clays. It is three generations back but should have the upscaled wood and finish, in fact it may be a good price if the wood is well figured and it is in good shape overall.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I forgot to mention, the 325 could be had with either fixed or Invector chokes and may or may not have been ported at the factory. The 425 and 525 sporting models are all ported.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts