Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 725 Sporter with the single Allen key in the Butt Pad to adjust the comb. I was wondering if this style of adjustable comb can be removed and spacers put in. I have found it occasionally moves. I have tightened the Allen key to where I think it should be. I do not want to over tighten. I would just fit rubber/plastic washers to keep the height . The owners manual does not show it being "removeable".

· Registered
47 Posts
I bought some plastic washers to do exactly what you want to do at the local Ace Hardware.

I’ve never had a problem with the left/right adjustment just the up/down adjustment. The plastic washers from Ace solved this.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is what I planned to do. I have several adjustable combs with the two screws on the side of the stock. My issue is will the comb on the 725 lift off to allow the placement of the washers. The manual does not mention removing the comb.

· Registered
823 Posts
Huh. I haven't had that issue with mine so far. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

· Premium Member
10,065 Posts
Most adjustable combs come with 1/16" and either 3/32" or 1/8" washers/shims for the height adjustments. Never had one that didn't.

· Registered
971 Posts
I’ve had trouble with the same hardware and figured out the issue on my gun.

If you remove the comb, then remove the comb hardware you’ll see that the adjusting screw that exists through the butt pad is a long rod that tightens both post clamps simultaneously. Look at the spot where the end of the rod meets the stock closest to the receiver. On my gun the rod was running into the wood of the stock not allowing me to actually get the clamps tight. Removing a small amount of wood with a dremel was all it took to make the clamp function properly.

I have still added nylon washers under the posts but the clamping system now works properly and keeps everything tight.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most adjustable combs come with 1/16" and either 3/32" or 1/8" washers/shims for the height adjustments. Never had one that didn't.
I guess you never bought a 725 recently. No washers!

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If you remove the comb, then remove the comb hardware you’ll see that the adjusting screw that exists through the butt pad is a long rod that tightens both post clamps simultaneously. Look at the spot where the end of the rod meets the stock closest to the receiver. On my gun the rod was running into the wood of the stock not allowing me to actually get the clamps tight. Removing a small amount of wood with a dremel was all it took to make the clamp function properly.

I have still added nylon washers under the posts but the clamping system now works properly and keeps everything tight.
To remove the comb do you just loosen the bolt and lift the comb piece up? That is really what I am looking for. How to remove the comb to add washers .

· Registered
1,625 Posts

Thanks for that tip, the single screw hardware seems a little fragile, my comb will move at times too so I will check this out.

· Registered
971 Posts
To remove the comb do you just loosen the bolt and lift the comb piece up? That is really what I am looking for. How to remove the comb to add washers .
Yes, but its worth carry out the proper fix because the single screw set up also locks the left to right movements of the comb in addition to the height. So while washers will keep the comb from dropping, if the clamp is not tight you still risk pushing the comb off of its cast adjustment over time.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally found a you tube video. The comb will pull straight up , after loosening the bolt. Thsnks for the help guys. I will have to find the proper washers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts