Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 16ga browning A-5 standard.. I think it may have been 2-9/16 chamber originally and not sure how to tell if it's been changed.. The barrel sticks out of the reciever about a quarter inch where some silver is showing but the forearm is in great shape and the forearm nut is tight..
Is this something common? Safe to shoot? Does this mean that it's been changed to 2-3/4???

Any help is appriciated..

thanks

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
What is the serial number of the gun? See if you can find a 16-65 or a 16-70 marked on the barrel someplace. See if the barrel is marked for 2 3/4 inch shells on the top.

If a 2 9/16 inch gun is properly converted, the barrel's chamber is reamed and the receiver's ejection port is machined to accommodate the longer shell.

There is something wrong if you are seeing 1/4 inch of silver on the barrel where it fits into the receiver. Do not shootthe gun until you find out what the problem is. Any good gunsmith will be able to help you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK.. the serial number is 109380 and there is a mark on the barrel that says 16-65.. I don't see anything that states 2-3/4 anywhere..
But yes, there is silver barrel stickout out of the receiver, of course when you push on the barrel is slides back in but no matter what you do it come right back out.. Actually I'd say it's just over 1-8 in out, not quite a quater.. Either way....?

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Well your gun was made in 1937. The 16-65 inside of the Greek letter Omega(looks like a sideway horshshoe) tells us that the barrel is a 16 gauge by 65mm. That transulates to a short 2 9/16 inch barrel.

Check the Browning website for the proper nimber and location of the friction rings. If this seems in order,take the gun to a gunsmith to find out what is up with the improper (?) barrel seating.

2 1/2 inch ammo is readily available online and from Able Ammo and Cabela's. This is the proper ammo for a non-converted gun.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I had an old Rem mod. 11 that did something similar. The forend was worn on the inside under the mag tube cap. I found a steel ring about an 1/8" thick that would fit around the mag tube and seated it in the forend.....problem solved. Barrel seats where it should.

I also have a pre-war 16ga. A-5. Mine was converted to 2 3/4" somewhere in it's past - although the barrel was never re-stamped. I had a gunsmith check it to make sure. There are a few machine marks in the forcing cone is a giveaway that it was worked on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update I guess..
I took the gun to my gunsmith today and he happened to have a Browning service manual from back in the day.. We checked it out and my gun was converted to 2-3/4 by browning quite some time ago. They do quite a bit to it but long story short is that space that the barrel sticks out is the way it should be once it's been converted.. The manual tells you how much it should stick out to work properly.. It says it should be out three thirty seconds which mine is.. Anyhow......
just thought I'd share this and say this is how Browning says it should be for anyone else that has this problem.. Now for the work info and dimensions I'd have to have a copy of the book but it is ok..

Thanks for the reply's, it's appriciated...

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
It is great to find an oldtime gunsmith that knows what he is doing! :) The 1/10 of an inch is a great deal less that the 1/4 inch that I was imagining. I pulled out a converted A5 16ga that I have and it,too, has a little white showing. I guess that I never noticed. Best of luck with your gun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.