Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a Browning A-5 Light 12 from a friend. It is still in the box and never been shot. I dated the gun from Brownings website to 1977. It is in Immaculate condition. I have found around 1976 they moved production to Japan. The original box shows the gun was made in Japan,However, the Barrel indicates it was made in Belgium and Also has St. Louis, Mo. on it as well. There is a # on the Barrel but it doesn't appear to be the serial #. Should these #'s match? In addittion, The receiver serial # and the box serial # match. I was a little confused on this. Is it possible the barrel was made in Belgium and the reciever in Japan? Thanks for your input in advance.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
It's possible the barrel and reciever were made in different locations, as this is a practice the Browning uses.

Ofcourse it's also possible the Belgian offices address was simply on the barrel too.

You might try the Browning site again in FAQ's topic "where was my gun made" or similar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted Browning and it appears that was the case. They still had belgium parts left over when they moved production from Japan to Belgium in 1976 and used what they had. We know that the barrel was made in Belgium but Browning said they did not have records of what parts came from where. They said it was likely the reciever was made in japan and had receiver Components from Belgium as well making this kind of a Hybrid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts