Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I've recently been looking for a 12ga. automatic shotgun, that is capable of shooting 3" shells. I had my heart set on a Rem. 1100 12ga. magnum.........that is, until i found out (the other day) that browning made a A5 12ga. magnum. Sooooooooo, what can yall tell me about the A5 Mag?

1. is it gas operated, or recoil operated?
2. can it handle 3" shells, without completely ripping the internals apart?
3. Pros. Cons.?
4. What about parts availability?

It would mainly be used on Quail,Dove, and the occasional duck hunt.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Based on your post, I would guess you don't shoot alot of 3" shells unless you are duck hunting.

If you are mainly going to be shooting 2 3/4" dove/skeet loads, I would suggest you find a Light 12. If you have your heart set on a 3" A5, then so be it. With the advancements of duck loads, a 2 3/4" shell is no longer a handicap and doing pattern testing the past 3 weeks, I have found the slightly lighter loads pattern better out of the same barrel, 3" Invector + barreled Mag 12.

To shoot 2 3/4" shells reliably in my Mag 12's, I use a Light 12 spring and friction set-up, about $16 from Browning.

1. is it gas operated, or recoil operated?
Long recoil action

2. can it handle 3" shells, without completely ripping the internals apart?
That is what it was designed for

3. Pros. Cons.?
Reliable, almost impossible to wear out, I have no clue about cons, I haven't found one yet, but my hunting buddies complain about the weight.

4. What about parts availability?
Part still available from Browning

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
The Mag 12 would be pretty good for ducks and doves. It's on the heavy side for an upland model. The Long Recoil operated Franchi AL48 would be better suited for this use as that's what it's geared for. No other auto loader has the same quality level or durability as the A-5. Many would argue that this design was never improved of in terms of reliability.

Like any Long Recoil model they are not the best in terms of load versatility and light load cycling.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
IMHO there is no better made semi-auto than the A5.

If you will need to shoot steel shot, a Japanese (Invector or Invector-Plus) or Hastings barrel will be needed. Belgium barrels are not steel shot compatable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought my first A5 last year, an A5 Mag Stalker. It has been by far the best, most reliable auto I have owned. It doesn't cycle the light dove loads, but that was expected. You will not be disappointed in the A5. Buy one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts