Shotgun Forum banner
761 - 780 of 785 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Goad said:
I opened a new gunbroker account called Goadsguns, stay tuned. I will be entertaining proposals. I officially retired, and am applying for an FFL.
Congratulations

I already have a photo album named Goad's Guns, but I'll share it with you. And I'll add you to my favorite sellers list.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rudolph31 said:
I've noticed the use of commas for decimals when in Europe. I don't understand why they do it, but I've gotten used to it. But it seems FN does it both ways, 63.5 in the Y gun, and 63,5 in Goad's.
In general Europeans actually use the comma and decimal backwards of Americans. ie. 1.000,00
They say 30 June and not June 30. Very confusing with the DD/MM formats!
They also use the 24 hour clock and not am & pm. Meet you at 18:00.

I know driving on the left or right is often credited to how the English and French handled horse drawn vehicles. You mount a horse on the left because as an officer your sword was on your left hip. Grunts walk.

The first 3, I don't know.
Bill

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have become somewhat of a local expert on A5's, and most of this is due to Goad and several knowledgeable others on this site, bump...Thanks for all the information and patience through the years.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 ·
I like the word "knowledgeable." Like you, I got a lot of unpublished information here from other A5 informants sharing knowledge, experience and discoveries. Add that to the published stuff and you become more knowledgeable than the experts. I have learned more from contributors answering questions here than from any other source.

Unpublished discoveries have been made here. I suspect that will continue. The well of A5 anomalies is very deep.

Thank you for your post.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It's my standard joke but I "date" my Sweet Sixteen every September...I take her out for doves and bluewings...

It's getting to be that time of year when I start thinking about her. I even ordered her a rebuild kit from Art's Gun Shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I stumbled across an old standard 16 gauge with serial number 32xxx, which should date it as a 1924 from what I've read on here. However, it's a 3- shot, which didn't come around until 1932. Oh, and it has a straight stock. I know those records are not definitive. Anyone have any other information on what this may be? Or seen anything similar? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I think FN sold 3-Shot kits consisting of a new magazine, spring, and forearm to convert standard shotguns. These may have been before the factory model was introduced. I'd check S/V but I'd have to get off the couch…

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rudolph31 said:
I think FN sold 3-Shot kits consisting of a new magazine, spring, and forearm to convert standard shotguns. These may have been before the factory model was introduced. I'd check S/V but I'd have to get off the couch…
Thank you! That would possibly help explain why it doesn't appear that the barrel sticks out far enough to be a conversion, although the distance from the ejection port to the front of the receiver indicates it is and the ejector has the slot cut out. I'm wondering if the kit was added after it was converted? Not allowing the barrel to stick out more for the 2 3/4"? If so, what, if anything, would need to be done to safely shoot 2 3/4"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rudolph31 said:
Nothing I said had anything to do with a conversion from 65mm to 70mm. I was talking about a conversion from a 4 shot magazine to 2.
Correct. I understand that. Now I'm asking if the different handguard will affect it shooting 2 3/4" as I know they modified the handguard during the conversion process. I'm wondering if the 3 shot adapter kit was added to the gun after it was converted to 2 3/4" and if so, would that affect shooting 2 3/4" out of it, as the 3 shot handguard wasn't modified at all.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Gotcha.

It wouldn't make sense to convert it to shoot 70mm shells without modifying the forearm.

And if it was first converted to 70mm, it wouldn't make sense to then change it to a 3-shot using a forearm meant for 65mm shells.

But, are you sure there's no letter prefix to your serial number?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rudolph31 said:
Gotcha.

It wouldn't make sense to convert it to shoot 70mm shells without modifying the forearm.

And if it was first converted to 70mm, it wouldn't make sense to then change it to a 3-shot using a forearm meant for 65mm shells.

But, are you sure there's no letter prefix to your serial number?
That's why it doesn't make sense to me! Unless modifying the 3 shot forearm to shoot 2 3/4" is different. Yeah. Just 32xxx with FN in circle above and D in circle below. I'll try and get a couple pictures up when I get home.

761 - 780 of 785 Posts