Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Browning A5 made in Belgium in very good lightly used condition. The barrel measures 31" to the face of the action, is chambered in 3", full choke, with ventilated rib. The serial # is 68V 18940, any ideas as to it's value? Thank, jack

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The barrel should measure 32" and the gun was made in 1968. These are very popular waterfowling guns and a nice one in exellent original condition,with a vent rib will bring in the $700 - $800 range. Subtract about $200 for a plain barrel.

Do not shoot steel or Hevishot in that Belgium barrel. Bismuth and Tungston Matrix are great. If you really want to shoot steel or Hevishot you will need to get a Japanese Browning barrel that has factory choke tubes or a Hastings barrel for the gun.

Is the barrel marked with an astrik (*)? If so it is full choke.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure that it had a 32" barrel, but was unsure how to measure it. That was approximate the value I was hoping for and the gun hasn't seen any waterfowl use since before the steel shot laws, and for sure less than 100 rounds total. It was used mostly for deer hunting and the pattern of OO Buck it throws beyond 50yds is unbelievable!

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Those older Browning barrels really shoot great patterns with lead shot. My Browning 12ga magnum shoots true 90% patterns with lead from #7 1/2 through #BB shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts