Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
28,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Probably will be a 20 gauge forthcoming....I doubt the company was promoting a misadventure, more like jumping the gun.
The "company" is Olin. Olin has no clue about what firearms are going to be made, or not. Browning Ammo has nothing to do with Browning firearms. The A5, already out for many years, is 12 gauge and 16 gauge only. It is just plain stupid to try to promote a "Wicked" 20 gauge load using a 12 gauge A5 as a backdrop. That's what you get when you throw stupid money at a sea-slug stupid ad agency.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The "company" is Olin. Olin has no clue about what firearms are going to be made, or not. Browning Ammo has nothing to do with Browning firearms. The A5, already out for many years, is 12 gauge and 16 gauge only. It is just plain stupid to try to promote a "Wicked" 20 gauge load using a 12 gauge A5 as a backdrop. That's what you get when you throw stupid money at a sea-slug stupid ad agency.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

Suggesting that you use a wicked 1 oz. 20 gauge load in a 12 gauge is Brandon-level.
I don't think they make their own guns anymore either. Every Browning I own has "Miroku" in fine print on the gun. I also have one Miroku Winchester. Nothing wrong with Miroku however, they make excellent guns.

·
Registered
28,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think they make their own guns anymore either. Every Browning I own has "Miroku" in fine print on the gun. I also have one Miroku Winchester. Nothing wrong with Miroku however, they make excellent guns.
It is Herstal Group: https://www.herstalgroup.com/en/homepage . Their guns are made in the U.S,, Portugal, Japan, Belgium, and Turkey. Browning from the beginning relied on FN, Colt, Remington, Winchester, etc., to manufacture JMB designs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is nothing new, just ignorance (not necessarily stupidity) on display. You see it in post-production dubbing of the wrong raptors' call to the majestic Bald Eagle, motor-drive sounds given to manual-advance cameras, or one of my favorites, snub-nosed revolvers with suppressors attached. It doesn't really matter. It's style over substance. How many people even know that the Bald Eagle sounds like a hungry seagull anyway?

·
Registered
152 Posts
12/20 burst? I do remember from Hunter Safety training (which was a long damn time ago), that the 12/16 and 16/20 scenarios were concerns. The handbook trumpeted the color coding of shotshells; I think Federal was the only company who fully got on board with that, though.

It's not a silly concern. Was looking over a 12 ga repeater at an auction a couple years ago - opened the action (yes, chamber was apparently empty), propped the gun butt down on my toe, shined my flashlight on the bolt face, went to look at the bore through the muzzle, but it was obstructed. Dropped my pen down the bore and out plopped a loaded 16 ga. So, it can happen.

Winchester's marketing does slip up on occasion. Last year they had the ATA send out an ad promoting a Sporting Clay load featuring plated shot. Some ridicule of Winchester ensued, but, on the other hand, someone at the ATA office could've caught that one, too.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
12/20 burst? I do remember from Hunter Safety training (which was a long damn time ago), that the 12/16 and 16/20 scenarios were concerns. The handbook trumpeted the color coding of shotshells; I think Federal was the only company who fully got on board with that, though.

It's not a silly concern. Was looking over a 12 ga repeater at an auction a couple years ago - opened the action (yes, chamber was apparently empty), propped the gun butt down on my toe, shined my flashlight on the bolt face, went to look at the bore through the muzzle, but it was obstructed. Dropped my pen down the bore and out plopped a loaded 16 ga. So, it can happen.

Winchester's marketing does slip up on occasion. Last year they had the ATA send out an ad promoting a Sporting Clay load featuring plated shot. Some ridicule of Winchester ensued, but, on the other hand, someone at the ATA office could've caught that one, too.
If you want to be DSQ'd at The Grand American, just use plated shot. Although to be honest, I have NEVER had to prove my ammo was legal at any trap event I shot in.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
It is Herstal Group: https://www.herstalgroup.com/en/homepage . Their guns are made in the U.S,, Portugal, Japan, Belgium, and Turkey. Browning from the beginning relied on FN, Colt, Remington, Winchester, etc., to manufacture JMB designs.
JMB also designed a few guns for Winchester and Colt. The 1911 pistol, the 1885 Winchester single shots, and the 1894 lever action and possibly others.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you want to be DSQ'd at The Grand American, just use plated shot.
I didn't know this...but then I'm not a member of the ATA and rarely shoot trap. What is the rationale for this rule (not allowing plated shot)? Does it apply to Skeet and Sporting Clays as well?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I didn't know this...but then I'm not a member of the ATA and rarely shoot trap. What is the rationale for this rule? Does it apply to Skeet and Sporting Clays as well?
Here's a cut and paste from the ATA rulebook.

G. GUNS AND AMMUNITION Any shooter violating any of these Rules shall be disqualified from competition in accordance with these Rules. Any such violator shall be referred to the Executive Committee for possible further disciplinary action. A contestant cannot use:

1. A gun with a chamber larger than 12 gauge. Guns of smaller gauges are permissible in registered and tournament shooting, but no competitive consideration shall be given in recognition of that fact for handicap and classification purposes. A contestant may not use a gun capable of chambering more than one gauge of shells at the same time. For example, chambering 12 gauge and 20 gauge shells in the same gun at the same time is prohibited.

2. Loads that contain nickel or copper coated shot or tracer loads. However, the use of lead, steel, bismuth, or other composite non- toxic shot materials shall be allowed. Any gun club allowing shot materials described in this Rule, other than lead, shall be required to cover or shield all hard surfaces on trap fields which are known, or reasonably believed, to cause pellet ricochet with material which will prevent the shot pellets from rebounding and/or ricocheting.

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces or less, as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%. Steel shot in Number 7 will be acceptable as long as velocity criteria are the same as for lead shot shells.

4. Any shell loaded with black powder.

5. Shoot Management, ATA official(s) or any contestant may challenge the load of any other contestant. Any challenge shall be initiated so as to not disrupt the harmony of the shoot or interfere with other contestants not involved with the challenge. On receipt of a challenge management or ATA official(s) shall obtain a shell or shells from the challenged party, and if after examination, management or ATA official(s) find the contestant violated the ATA rule, he/she may be disqualified. Any such initiated challenges, determined to be abusive in nature, will be referred to the ATA Executive Committee for disciplinary action.

·
Registered
28,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Using a product exactly as suggested by an ad that can blow off fingers or part of your face is beyond stupid. What is the purpose of sticking a shotgun in a ammo ad supposed to be, in the first place?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts