Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, second time posting a thread here on ShotgunWorld. I hope I am doing this correctly, I have taken a picture of every mark I could find on my barrel and receiver.

I do not know the age of this shotgun, nor do I really understand how to date it. From what I understand, this serial number is according to the NRA from 1908, or a Browning Collector's site from 1925, or it must have been 1934 since the handguard says 3 shot on it. I think it is Belgium made given the stock's shape?

I just wish to know more about the gun before I proceed to mess with it. Like how old it actually is, if it is valuable as is, or things along those lines. I plan on turning it into more of a FN Police Model sort of thing and upgrading the lifter to the Speed Load two piece lifter if I can.

I bought it sort of on a lark when I had an opportunity to buying the mag tube and forend and I found that I enjoy project shotguns.

Photos here.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is an American Browning made by Remington during WW2. I believe Remington produced these from 1940-1946. They are a great shotgun but they don’t have as much value as a Belgium made gun.

In your previous post I recommended finding a better donor but after seeing the pictures that’s a great gun to modify as it doesn’t have much collector interest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an American Browning made by Remington during WW2. I believe Remington produced these from 1940-1946. They are a great shotgun but they don’t have as much value as a Belgium made gun.

In your previous post I recommended finding a better donor but after seeing the pictures that’s a great gun to modify as it doesn’t have much collector interest.
Good to know I am good to go on modding it. Though the shop gunsmith at the place I bought it mentioned he could tell this was Belgium made due to the rounded nature of the buttstock grip?

May I ask, how did you come to this conclusion? Also regarding this serial number being 5 digits long instead of say 6 digits long as what the serial number guide says it should be. Like 224,000 is the range that I saw was listed as when Remington took over.

This is all very confusing and I would like to learn more on how the ID process works.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It’s not a Belgium made gun. This is an American Browning made by Remington. Just because it’s a round knob doesn’t mean it’s a Belgium. There are a few ways to tell that’s it’s an American Browning
1. Serial number is on the side of the receiver
2. Receiver has a bead blasted look on the top
3. The engraving pattern
4. The carrier screws have more than one notch cut in them
5. The barrel extension is different
6. The barrel ramp is like an early FN Browning gun

I can’t tell from the pictures but if the serial number begins with a B it’s for sure Remington made Auto 5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s not a Belgium made gun. This is an American Browning made by Remington. Just because it’s a round knob doesn’t mean it’s a Belgium. There are a few ways to tell that’s it’s an American Browning
1. Serial number is on the side of the receiver
2. Receiver has a bead blasted look on the top
3. The engraving pattern
4. The carrier screws have more than one notch cut in them
5. The barrel extension is different
6. The barrel ramp is like an early FN Browning gun

I can’t tell from the pictures but if the serial number begins with a B it’s for sure Remington made Auto 5
It does and so it looks like I can have a fun project gun without worry. Thanks so much.

Now all I need to do is make sure the Speed load system is compatible.

Is it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good post on a conversion
Thanks a lot. Hopefully it all works out because the police mag tube and the forend i got was half more expensive than the gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The two piece carrier isn’t cheap. I’d look for a gun with speed load
Fair, but I already have this Rem-Browning. Like, I enjoy the idea of turning something old into something new.

Plus, if I did get another gun, I wouldn't want to keep this gun, since I have storage space considerations.

I am enjoying the history of this gun now, and the idea of it getting upgraded tickles my fancy.

Though...hmm...okay, let's see, would buying another gun be worth it compared to upgrading this one. I will do some math.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Soyknee is spot on. I have done several speed loads. The parts are expensive and it will require some fitting. I have only done browning. So you could be opening up a can of worms. I would call Art and ask him about doing it with a Remington. If he will do then do yourself a favor and send it to him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Soyknee is spot on. I have done several speed loads. The parts are expensive and it will require some fitting. I have only done browning. So you could be opening up a can of worms. I would call Art and ask him about doing it with a Remington. If he will do then do yourself a favor and send it to him.
I will give him a call in the morning! Though yeah, regarding the Speed Load, I also have a FN Police Mag Tube and Forend. Should I also send that to him or try Vang Comp like Ian from Forgotten Weapons did?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am curious if ops gun has the carrier spring provisions on the trigger guard or if it has the pins on the receiver

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Model 11 carrier springs are similar to Browning receiver mounted springs, and they are available. I used one on a Sweet Sixteen a few years ago, but it took some grinding to make it fit. That 1957 gun has Speed Load, so you don’t need a trigger plate mounted carrier spring. And I’ve a friend who has converted at least two of his Model 11’s. He made it sound easier than the stories I’ve read about converting an actual Browning. But I’d take that with a grain of salt because he thinks filing pieces to fit is fun.

As to the OP’s gun, I’d be concerned about the replacement Browning magazine and forearm fitting on his Remington receiver. Also, he’ll be lucky if the high capacity magazine hasn’t been modified to hold just 5 shells.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The speed load guns don’t have the pins on the receiver to hold the carrier spring. The carrier spring is retained by a pin on the trigger guard assembly on the speed load guns. If it has the pins on the receiver they will need to be cut off. There’s no going back after you commit to removing them

Diagram and service manual:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The speed load guns don’t have the pins on the receiver to hold the carrier spring. The carrier spring is retained by a pin on the trigger guard assembly on the speed load guns. If it has the pins on the receiver they will need to be cut off. There’s no going back after you commit to removing them

Yep, very true, but they are so easy to cut off. I remember holding the cut off tool and thinking" man, sure hope I don't screw this up". All turned out well and she eats whatever I throw at her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Is there any reason to be concerned about converting to speed load versus just modifying the loading gate so you don't have to hold down the button?

Right. I will see if I can't make sense of the diagram and ID the shotgun when I have some free time this week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To update yall on the progress of the project.

I now have all the internal parts needed, the carrier spring, two piece gate, etc.

All that is left is a new barrel to chop down since I want to keep this Cutts barrel since I find it neat.

Then optionally I will get a synthetic stock since this old wood one is rather beat up and I don't want to break it.

Next bottle neck will be however much it will cost to have it sent out for fitment and the like.

From what I understand, I should send it to Art or maybe Vang Comp?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts