Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the third season in a row my Auto-5 has broken and I have decided to look for a replacement. I have tried to find the Length of pull, drop at comb, and drop at heel specifications for this gun to help determine what would be the easiest transition to a new gun, does anyone know what they are or where I can find them? Any suggestions in regards to replacements would be welcomed also. For the most part I am looking for a gun than can handle loads from the 1 oz range and up and would prefer a 3.5 in 12 ga.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
My favorite auto currently is the 391. Amazing gun... The Extrema with the optional recoil absorber in the stock shoots 2 3/4 as it they were 410.

I would believe that an aftermarked spring could be obtained that would not break... also, if there is oil on the guide tube, where the friction piece slides, this will cause excess shock to the spring in the rear. The tube is designed to be very nearly dry so friction can be built up for shock absorption. Think I would look to an after market spring and a new friction ring and new spring for the front.

Truth is, as much as I love an A5.... The Exterema 2 with the synthetic stock... that's the gun I'd be looking to take into the field. :lol: I'd leave the A5 for a fair weather dove gun.

bd

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You need a new gunsmith. The Browning A5 design is not flawed.
If you are happy shooting your A5, send it to MidWest GunWorks in Peveley, Missouri and they can find out what is wrong with the gun. They work on more A5's in a year than your gunsmith will see in a liftetime. They also have the parts in stock to fix your gun. If you just want a new gun, then that is a different story.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You can measure your own stock dimensions. The Length of pull is the distance between the trigger and the recoil pad or butt plate. The comb dimensions are taken by extending a straight edge along the rib past the reciever( or bridge from the front bead in the absence of a rib). Then measure the drop to the front of the comb and heal of the comb. Normally the LOP is about 14" to 14 3/8". Drop measurements for field guns is about 1 1/2" to the front and about 2 1/2" for the rear. A lot of modern guns now have systems for altering fit via shims. Beretta and Benelli are examples. I recently bought a Benelli and am very impressed. For waterfowl a Super Black Eagle would be a good choice. But getting the Auto 5 properly repaired would probably be a much cheaper option. An auto 5 normally is the standard for durability of a semi auto or any gun for that matter,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. For Back to 16Ga, yes it is a stalker model with the hollow butt stock. The gun is used primarly for waterfowl hunting and I love it. I also have a Belgium made A5 that I have hunted with in the past and gun just feels right. This is the reason that I was curious about the dimensions. I have shot the SBE and SBEII and was not crazy about either of them, gun just did not "feel right", may have to go that route and get it fitted. What about the longevity of a Browning Gold? Is it a high volume gun or just a "hunting" gun?

·
Registered
191 Posts
A gold is just as reliable as any other gun. There are some out there that think that Golds are jammers. Golds are only jammers if they have never been cleaned out.

Get one, clean it well to get the cosmoline out, and you will not have any problems.

Wha do you consider high volume? 1000 per year or 10000 per year? Either way, the gold will work fine. Just clean the junk out of it every 2000 rounds or so.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
The only thing that could be wrong with your gun is some so-called gunsmith broke the square tube the spring goes in off the receiver while giving the gun a cleaning it probably did not need when the gun was taken in for not cycling 3" steel shells while set wrong. In other words there was nothing wrong with the gun the first time you took it in and the gunsmith broke your gun while removing the stock.

I shoot and have shot A-5's for a long time. You can get a different gun but there is no replacement for the A-5.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Your gunsmith may be partially right. It is possibly a design flaw in the fact that a hollow stock is used on the A5 Stalker but not a design flaw in the A5 itself. I have a good friend who, except for a brief period shooting a magnum 870 Wingmaster, has only used A5's for all of his duck and dove hunting (45+ years). He has had absolutely no trouble with the A5's that had wood stocks. He is rough on his guns, hunts about every day of the duck season (now in Arkansas) and wipes down his guns at the end of the season whether they need it or not. He bought both a Light 12 Stalker and a Magnum 12 Stalker when they were in production (invector plus guns). He told me about 4 or 5 years ago that one of his Stalkers had quit working one day while hunting. He took the gun over to Mack's Prairie Wings for the gunsmith to check out. The gunsmith found that the tube the spring in the stock fits in was broken. The gunsmith said he had seen several Stalkers have this problem. The problem is caused by the hollow stock allowing the tube to move around too much while in use and it ultimately breaks off. Wood stocks don't allow this excessive movement. The gunsmith suggested that my friend send the gun back to Browning for them to fix. He sent the gun into Browning, they fixed the broken tube and filled the stock with foam to stop the excessive movement of the spring tube. I think he also sent his other Stalker to Browning to have the tube fixed on it and foam added to the stock. As far as I know he has never had a tube break again.

I don't know why the replacement tubes broke so quickly in successive years unless the tubes were installed improperly or new parts weren't used in the succeeding years. I have rarely heard of this tube breaking so when you described your problems I figured you had a Stalker with a hollow stock.

I would call Browning customer service or the gunsmith a Mack's Prairie Wings. I believe his name is Matt Spoon.

John Browning did not have to design around hollow stocks when he designed the A5.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am looking for an A-5. When I was a kid growing up (40+ yrs. ago) it was THE gun to have and there was no way I could afford one. I can now and have been looking but don't really know enough about them to make a smart purchase. I hope to add one to me collection soon.

If anyone has a pristine one for sale you can PM.......................................

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I have been hunting with A5s for more than 50 years and own over two dozen. I have never seen or heard of a flawed A5. Misstreated, missassembled and even ruined, yes...... but never flawed in design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put my A5 up. Was having problems with jamming up on very cold & muddy days out in the field. My gun was designed to shoot lead & I have to shoot steel. Was told this will damage gun. Gun was handed down to me from my grandpa. A Belgin made gun. I love to shoot it but wanted to save it. I just got a Beretta Urika 2 with the MAX4 pattern & love the way it shoots & feels. Used it last Saturday for the first time. Got 5 ducks & 1 goose. It pulls up easy & fits me great. The A5 has a very high back & I had to find a gun that would pull up for me. Some I just couldn't get my head right to aim. I tried the Stoeger & had problems. Up graded to the Beretta & so far it's great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To BackTo16Gauge, I think that you have hit the target right on. I could hear a rattle when shooting. I will try to get the gun sent to browning soon, doubt I will have it back by the end of hunting season but its not like I do not have other options.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
rppicciola,

Glad to help. I think there is a fairly easy fix for your gun. A5's are more reliable than any gun out there. It took something like a hollow stock allowing excessive movement (not in John Browning's original plan) to cause problems. I have a problem as I have 4 A5 Stalkers (1 magnum, 3 light 12s), none of which I bought new, that I don't know the condition of the spring tubes in the stocks. I will be letting a gunsmith knowledgeable about A5's take a look at those spring tubes.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If your A5 is anything like my A5, the spring tube in question is dirt dog simple. It's just... well, a tube screwed into the frame of the reciever. That's all there is to it. Unscrew it, check the threads, if they are not broken, if the tubes is not cracked, put it back... In the very old guns, like my '34, the tubes are soddered in. Replacement tubes are very easy to come by.

Best to all,
bd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.