Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. Trying to figure out when my Browning Auto 5 Twenty was made and also approximate value. The gun has some minor scratches and dings but in very good shape overall. Thanks in advance!

Serial # 2Z 62310

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
First of all: WELCOME to the forum!!!

Unless I am very mistaken the 2 is for 1962 and the Z is for 20 gauge and the 62310 is the serial number.

I'm sure some expert will be along if I am wrong!! :)

I wouldn't even guess at value without some very clear, detailed, photos!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input........1962 is what I was coming up with as well but the 62310 part was throwing me for a bit of a loop. Some minor dings, blueing is good, probably a 7.5 to 8 out of 10 overall condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you buy this Auto 5?
What were they asking for it?
I am interested so the name and number of the shop would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Own the gun and just trying to figure out what its worth. The "Twenty" seems to go for more than the "Light 12's". Can somebody give me a range of values for a 1962 Auto 5 Twenty in terms of 50%, 75%, 100% (near mint) of original condition. A range of value would help me. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I bought one with a stock badly in need of refinishing for $500. A quick check of Gunbroker shows newer models with asking prices over $1000. An auction to watch is for a gun like yours, current bid $500, reserve not met:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630614659

By the way, all of these guns are Light Twenty's, Browning just didn't engrave the full name on the receiver until 1973.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Check the auction sites, but.... make sure you check the SELLING prices, and NOT the ASKING prices. A lot of guns have been on there a long time and don't sell because the asking price is too high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, the wood on mine is in better shape than the one in the auction. Will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have hundreds of guns and probably 50 shotguns. If I could have only one shotgun it would be a Browning Auto 5 in 20 gauge. I don't even own one. I have and shoot a Remy Model 11 20 gauge and love the gun. That gun is close enough to the Browning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts