Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandpa gave me a Belgium made auto 5 magnum 12 gauge. I had a couple questions

First is shell info.
I know this is for 3” magnum shells and 2 3/4 high velocity shells. Am I able to shoot regular 3” shells out of it.
If regular 3” doesn’t cycle with the 3” mag setting can I use high velocity 2 3/4 setting for regular 3”?

Second topic is my grandfathers friend convinced him to send in the stock to get hydro dipped camo (just the wood) what’s the best way to take that off I would like it back to original wood.
It doesn’t look terrible but it’s just a classic gun and I’m not a fan

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
1st...download a diagram of friction ring set up for a Mag. Auto-5 if you don't have the factory literature. It will tell all you need to know about set up for different loads. Remembering that most 3" steel loads will need the 'light' ring set up in a Mag-12. A lot of time you'll find some of the friction rings will be missing in a Mag model...as it's already set of up for lighter loads. A lot of people do this as they can just shoot anything then...but they end up 'dinging' their receiver with real heavy loads. Remember these were built when 3" magnums were normally 1 5/8 to 1 3/4, or 1 7/8 oz lead loads. Lots of 'smack'...steel changed all that. I always look at ring set up when I run into any Auto-5 (mag, light, any gauge) that I might want to pick up.

As for removing the camo...you got me. Plenty of factory stocks still NIB out there. I'd go that way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would think a paint remover would remove hydro dipping but it will also remove original varnish finish. Any way you go about it your going to have to refinish wood after treatment. Myself i,d find a place that dips furniture to remove finish and then go about re tung oiling wood. Once finish was dipped any dings or dents could be steam lifted out of wood prior to tung oil application.

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Second topic is my grandfathers friend convinced him to send in the stock to get hydro dipped camo (just the wood) what’s the best way to take that off I would like it back to original wood.
It doesn’t look terrible but it’s just a classic gun and I’m not a fan
The best way is to replace the stock set. Other than that, leaving it be is by far the best path.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts